Quantcast
So, in theory, the new PS 3D HDTV could allow 8-splitscreen mulltiplayer, right?

Forums - Sony Discussion - So, in theory, the new PS 3D HDTV could allow 8-splitscreen mulltiplayer, right?

disolitude said:
naznatips said:
disolitude said:
naznatips said:

I'm not sure if this technology is possible without ghosting. The TV looked great in normal 3D mode. 

Ghosting is cause by pixel response time latency, and it not being able to keep up with the shuttering of the glasses.  DLP based displays response time is around 16 micro seconds. Most really good 3D LCDs are at 2 mili seconds.

16 micro seconds = 0.016 milli seconds...so about 100 times faster than LCDs.

If one tech can do this ghosting-free, its DLP.


You're going to have a hard time convincing people to switch back to DLCs as a main TV tech though. It sells a small fraction of LCD and LED, and even less than plasma, due to their enormous size and awful viewing angles.

I know that DLP TVs are dead, despite the last gen LED and laser based ones being rediculously good and completely destroying LCD based TVs for the time. I think you still have the images of the old school DLPs in your mind. They are not that big anymore, and the viewing angle is quite respectable on latest models. But I agree, that ship has sank...

Projectors however are a different story. DLP is killing the LCD projector as I am writing this... Projector big screen 3D gaming is where its at. :)


I've never used a projector. I figured the picture would be a bit washed and less sharp than watching it on an actual screen. 



Around the Network

I wonder if this would be possible on any 3D TV. That would be sweet for my TV if possible. Not that splitting a 58" TV is that big of a sacrifice anyway.



naznatips said:
disolitude said:

I know that DLP TVs are dead, despite the last gen LED and laser based ones being rediculously good and completely destroying LCD based TVs for the time. I think you still have the images of the old school DLPs in your mind. They are not that big anymore, and the viewing angle is quite respectable on latest models. But I agree, that ship has sank...

Projectors however are a different story. DLP is killing the LCD projector as I am writing this... Projector big screen 3D gaming is where its at. :)


I've never used a projector. I figured the picture would be a bit washed and less sharp than watching it on an actual screen. 

There are so many factors which decide how good a projector looks. Screen is very important. Correct projector for light conditions. Contrast ratio vs brightness. Once set up right, it can look stunning. A lot of people that come to my house are blown away with what a 600 dollar home entertainment 720p projector picture looks like on a 92 inch screen. I have a 1080p projector as well, and 720p res looks 90% as good for movies and games. Text and computer browsing benefits from a 1080p projector a lot more...

And there shouldn't be any blur or lack of sharpness if set up correctly. I mean, blowing up a 720p or even 1080p resolution to a 100+ inch screen needs to have a little blur in order to be visually pleasing which is why DLP tech looks great at that size. An LCD pannel of 1080p at 100 inches diagonal wouldn't look so hot without blur as well...



Vetteman94 said:
I wonder if this would be possible on any 3D TV. That would be sweet for my TV if possible. Not that splitting a 58" TV is that big of a sacrifice anyway.

It is possible. Probably not optimized but technically possible. You just need special glasses that blink both eyes at same time and something which combines 2 signals in to 1 with alternating frames. Then you can watch a porno while your wife watches Martha Stewart on the same TV, and she won't suspect a thing. Unless she takes her glasses off... :)

Plasmas and DLP displays really are the only ones that stand a chance making this work without ghosting. LCDs just can't keep up due to pixel refresh rate latency.



Here is an adapter which Texas Instruments and RealD made few years back that did this for DLP based TVs(no ghosting). It costs 2000 dollars :)

http://reald.com/content/proProducts.aspx?pageID=119

It was going to accomplish the same thing, using 2 consoles -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGuXlNe6s7s

But Texas Instruments never released the glasses because Samsung And Panasonic bailed on DLP technology TVs few months after that.



Around the Network
lightbleeder said:

Maybe a screen divided by 4 on on side and another one from the other side. Although 4 splitscreen on a 24 inch HDTV wouldn't be good, and the PS3 doesn't support 8 controllers.

I've always asked myself if the PS3 could use 7 bluetooth controllers and one USB controller, anyone knows?





disolitude said:
Vetteman94 said:
I wonder if this would be possible on any 3D TV. That would be sweet for my TV if possible. Not that splitting a 58" TV is that big of a sacrifice anyway.

It is possible. Probably not optimized but technically possible. You just need special glasses that blink both eyes at same time and something which combines 2 signals in to 1 with alternating frames. Then you can watch a porno while your wife watches Martha Stewart on the same TV, and she won't suspect a thing. Unless she takes her glasses off... :)

Plasmas and DLP displays really are the only ones that stand a chance making this work without ghosting. LCDs just can't keep up due to pixel refresh rate latency.

So I should be able to get the Sony glasses that they advertised at E3 with the TV then, since those blink both at the same time.  They claimed they would work with many other models.  I wonder if something like this could be implemented with a firmware update or something.



Vetteman94 said:
disolitude said:
Vetteman94 said:
I wonder if this would be possible on any 3D TV. That would be sweet for my TV if possible. Not that splitting a 58" TV is that big of a sacrifice anyway.

It is possible. Probably not optimized but technically possible. You just need special glasses that blink both eyes at same time and something which combines 2 signals in to 1 with alternating frames. Then you can watch a porno while your wife watches Martha Stewart on the same TV, and she won't suspect a thing. Unless she takes her glasses off... :)

Plasmas and DLP displays really are the only ones that stand a chance making this work without ghosting. LCDs just can't keep up due to pixel refresh rate latency.

So I should be able to get the Sony glasses that they advertised at E3 with the TV then, since those blink both at the same time.  They claimed they would work with many other models.  I wonder if something like this could be implemented with a firmware update or something.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Sony set of glasses that support every TV but it is possible that the glasses will come out which will owrk with all TVs and allow for this. Looks like PS3 will be the only single machine which will be able to do this, so it really depends on game support. 3rd party glasses manufacturer may step up and make a pair that works with every TV and double shutters.



pariz said:
lightbleeder said:

Maybe a screen divided by 4 on on side and another one from the other side. Although 4 splitscreen on a 24 inch HDTV wouldn't be good, and the PS3 doesn't support 8 controllers.

I've always asked myself if the PS3 could use 7 bluetooth controllers and one USB controller, anyone knows?




Hahahaha great song! And well, major innovations come from dreamers! Maybe one day we'll see my idea implemented!



PSN ID: lightbleeder

Wii Friend Code: 1176-2599-2195-2652

Super Smash Bros Brawl code: 0388-0514-3237

Feel free to add me and let me know when you do!

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E