Quantcast
So, in theory, the new PS 3D HDTV could allow 8-splitscreen mulltiplayer, right?

Forums - Sony Discussion - So, in theory, the new PS 3D HDTV could allow 8-splitscreen mulltiplayer, right?

Maybe a screen divided by 4 on on side and another one from the other side. Although 4 splitscreen on a 24 inch HDTV wouldn't be good, and the PS3 doesn't support 8 controllers.

I've always asked myself if the PS3 could use 7 bluetooth controllers and one USB controller, anyone knows?



PSN ID: lightbleeder

Wii Friend Code: 1176-2599-2195-2652

Super Smash Bros Brawl code: 0388-0514-3237

Feel free to add me and let me know when you do!

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

as the Sony standard controllers all have blue tooth I doubt Sony supports more than 7 controllers on a PS3

having 8 pairs of shutterglasses is quite expensive ;) , still, theoretically it could work, if the TV is able to synch up with that many



In theory yes but i would think the amount of horsepower required to draw all that in 3d and smoothly is far beyond the capabilities of the PS3



d0nni3 said:
In theory yes but i would think the amount of horsepower required to draw all that in 3d and smoothly is far beyond the capabilities of the PS3

that just depends on the visual fidelity of the game and with "3D" you mean polygon graphics right? because stereoscopic 3D is not viable while using the "full screen splitscreen" mode



Lafiel said:

as the Sony standard controllers all have blue tooth I doubt Sony supports more than 7 controllers on a PS3

having 8 pairs of shutterglasses is quite expensive ;) , still, theoretically it could work, if the TV is able to synch up with that many


Yeah I know but many third party controllers use a USB dongle, maybe it could work with 7 bluetooth controllers and one USB, a firmware upgrade would be needed for that I believe



PSN ID: lightbleeder

Wii Friend Code: 1176-2599-2195-2652

Super Smash Bros Brawl code: 0388-0514-3237

Feel free to add me and let me know when you do!

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network
lightbleeder said:

Maybe a screen divided by 4 on on side and another one from the other side. Although 4 splitscreen on a 24 inch HDTV wouldn't be good, and the PS3 doesn't support 8 controllers.

I've always asked myself if the PS3 could use 7 bluetooth controllers and one USB controller, anyone knows?

I'm sorry, but what?

I think you need to include some more information in the OP because I have no idea what you're even talking about..

EDIT: Looked it up, does sound interesting, but the ability to split it up for 2 players is probably the TV's maximum capability.  The PS3 cannot support 8 player splitscreen and the TV, I very much doubt, could ever support the display of 8 (make that 16 for 3D) full screen images at the same time, all refreshing at 30fps... that's 240fps just for 1 frame of each of the 8 images and 480fps if you wanted 3D...

So no, not even in theory could this thing allow for 8 player splitscreen.



nightsurge said:
lightbleeder said:

Maybe a screen divided by 4 on on side and another one from the other side. Although 4 splitscreen on a 24 inch HDTV wouldn't be good, and the PS3 doesn't support 8 controllers.

I've always asked myself if the PS3 could use 7 bluetooth controllers and one USB controller, anyone knows?

I'm sorry, but what?

I think you need to include some more information in the OP because I have no idea what you're even talking about..


The new Playstation TV has a mode where on player sees an image from one angle and another player sees another image from the opposite angle, all on the same screen. If four players play on one side of the screen and other four players play on the opposite side, with 4-splitscreen on each side, then in theory those 8 players could play on the same time at the same screen. Did I explain myself better?



PSN ID: lightbleeder

Wii Friend Code: 1176-2599-2195-2652

Super Smash Bros Brawl code: 0388-0514-3237

Feel free to add me and let me know when you do!

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

lightbleeder said:
nightsurge said:
lightbleeder said:

Maybe a screen divided by 4 on on side and another one from the other side. Although 4 splitscreen on a 24 inch HDTV wouldn't be good, and the PS3 doesn't support 8 controllers.

I've always asked myself if the PS3 could use 7 bluetooth controllers and one USB controller, anyone knows?

I'm sorry, but what?

I think you need to include some more information in the OP because I have no idea what you're even talking about..


The new Playstation TV has a mode where on player sees an image from one angle and another player sees another image from the opposite angle, all on the same screen. If four players play on one side of the screen and other four players play on the opposite side, with 4-splitscreen on each side, then in theory those 8 players could play on the same time at the same screen. Did I explain myself better?

What do you mean by "side"? You do mean left and right, correct? This is not a double sided TV as far as I have been able to find.  Check my edited post, btw, as I don't think this TV nor the PS3 itself has the capability to support 8 distinct images at once.

EDIT: To go into further detail, you would have to have players strategically located at 8 different angles from the TV in order to see the correct images, not just one on each side.  That is even if the tech allowed for it, which it clearly specifies that it only supports 2 players.



Just FYI, played the TV at E3, it has some pretty significant ghosting of what the other player sees. Be careful before getting too excited about it.



lightbleeder said:
nightsurge said:
lightbleeder said:

Maybe a screen divided by 4 on on side and another one from the other side. Although 4 splitscreen on a 24 inch HDTV wouldn't be good, and the PS3 doesn't support 8 controllers.

I've always asked myself if the PS3 could use 7 bluetooth controllers and one USB controller, anyone knows?

I'm sorry, but what?

I think you need to include some more information in the OP because I have no idea what you're even talking about..


The new Playstation TV has a mode where on player sees an image from one angle and another player sees another image from the opposite angle, all on the same screen. If four players play on one side of the screen and other four players play on the opposite side, with 4-splitscreen on each side, then in theory those 8 players could play on the same time at the same screen. Did I explain myself better?

You are incorrect. That is not the technology that sony is using.