Quantcast
Video Comparison : Metal Gear Solid 3DS vs. PS2

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Video Comparison : Metal Gear Solid 3DS vs. PS2

Ishar said:

I just post new screens comparison betwenn 3DS version and PS2 :

New Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D Screens Comparison : 3DS vs PS2

oO

Screen by screen, the 3DS seems to have consistently higher detail but also seems to be more washed out ...

I do wonder how much of these negative points towards the 3DS are because of the capture mode (video camera vs. direct capture) or would seem different when playing in 3D. Part of my thinking is that one of the ways I notice the 3D on the 3DS is that images seem (somehow) brighter and more vibrant than a conventional 2D screen.



Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Ishar said:

I just post new screens comparison betwenn 3DS version and PS2 :

New Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D Screens Comparison : 3DS vs PS2

oO

Screen by screen, the 3DS seems to have consistently higher detail but also seems to be more washed out ...

I do wonder how much of these negative points towards the 3DS are because of the capture mode (video camera vs. direct capture) or would seem different when playing in 3D. Part of my thinking is that one of the ways I notice the 3D on the 3DS is that images seem (somehow) brighter and more vibrant than a conventional 2D screen.

Looking through the screens it looks as if the geometry generally looks identical, but the texture quality and lighting varies greatly in the 3ds, such as the drop suit has clearly much higher resolution bump mapped texture than the ps2 and seems to have a higher polygon mesh, but other things look as if they have incomplete textures,if it releases in november that leaves a goodly amount of time to spruce up textures and lighting, if they choose to. if it is complete that is one haphazardly done port

regardless, snake eater is 30fps on ps2, and will be for all intents and purposes twice that on the 3ds, which is technically more impressive no matter what

plus lets face it, good looking ps2 games like mgs3 still look good, said games at twice the frame rate on the go would be good enough for me. though to be fair I think psp games  generally look fine as well save for that obnoxious dithering so many games use, though I guess I'd take dithering over worse framerates (any peace walker screen without dithering is doctored)



I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good enough. These are words I refuse to use in defending a game. The 3DS is capable of more as shown in other games from Capcom, Tecmo, and even Nintendo. Konami is seemingly pulling a bait and switch here while putting all their effort into their HD collection (includes the same damn game). Now if the final product is better then by all means people should buy it if they want. They should not however "settle" for just anything Konami puts out. We are not dogs they can simply throw a bone to!!! At the least the 3DS is GameCube level of tech but it's more advance in several ways. The GC > PS2. At the least the games should look identical if there are no improvements and it's a straight port. There is no way in hell should one accept the game looking worse then the PS2 version. If cart size is a problem then there is no way Konami could not ask Nintendo for a larger one considering who they are and what game they want to put on the system. This is all on Konami and the end result shouldn't be supported.



Digital Foundry took a look and gave more comprehensive analysis, in case anyone wants a more professional comparison.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mgs3-3ds-vs-playstation2



Rainbird said:
Digital Foundry took a look and gave more comprehensive analysis, in case anyone wants a more professional comparison.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mgs3-3ds-vs-playstation2

3DS has the edge, somewhat...

PS3 and 360 will have THE version to play though ;)



Around the Network
Rainbird said:
Digital Foundry took a look and gave more comprehensive analysis, in case anyone wants a more professional comparison.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mgs3-3ds-vs-playstation2

Their video of the 3DS version looks much, much better than the initial videos.   It shows a better resolution than the PS2 version as well as better frame rate.  Some effects and lighting trade offs though.



The rEVOLution is not being televised

NeoStar9 said:
Good enough. These are words I refuse to use in defending a game. The 3DS is capable of more as shown in other games from Capcom, Tecmo, and even Nintendo. Konami is seemingly pulling a bait and switch here while putting all their effort into their HD collection (includes the same damn game). Now if the final product is better then by all means people should buy it if they want. They should not however "settle" for just anything Konami puts out. We are not dogs they can simply throw a bone to!!! At the least the 3DS is GameCube level of tech but it's more advance in several ways. The GC > PS2. At the least the games should look identical if there are no improvements and it's a straight port. There is no way in hell should one accept the game looking worse then the PS2 version. If cart size is a problem then there is no way Konami could not ask Nintendo for a larger one considering who they are and what game they want to put on the system. This is all on Konami and the end result shouldn't be supported.

i see where you are coming from, but have you actually looked up the HD versions of the games, they are NOT putting any effort into it, they are just upping the resolution. You think people should not support the game?? Fine, but put this whole anti-nintendo conspiracy to rest, some of you sound like disgruntled children