Quantcast
PSN hysteria "a lot of piss and s**t"

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSN hysteria "a lot of piss and s**t"

evolution_1ne said:

proud owner of:

2 american accounts

1 euro account

and 1 jap account


So less than 1 in 3 PSN enabled devices logs in? Actually wait, does that new phone use the PSN also? Man that would make this thought even more ridiculous. 1 in 3 PSP and PS3 owners have a PSN account is the claim here correct? I would really like for someone on the other side of the argument to acknowledge they are making this claim.



Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
evolution_1ne said:

proud owner of:

2 american accounts

1 euro account

and 1 jap account


So less than 1 in 3 PSN enabled devices logs in? Actually wait, does that new phone use the PSN also? Man that would make this thought even more ridiculous. 1 in 3 PSP and PS3 owners have a PSN account is the claim here correct? I would really like for someone on the other side of the argument to acknowledge they are making this claim.

wouldn't be that far from the truth at all, since the euro, jap, and usa stores are completely different the vast majority of the psn user base has at least those 3 accounts



evolution_1ne said:

wouldn't be that far from the truth at all, since the euro, jap, and usa stores are completely different the vast majority of the psn user base has at least those 3 accounts


This inspired me to research. Now it is time for numbers! It turns out Sony released some very relevant information very recently. http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/01/27/sony-over-69-million-playstation-network-accounts/ By their numbers over 80% of PS3 users have at least one account. That is 40 million accounts by todays count. (50*0.8 So the 35 million number is complete bullshit based solely on the number of PS3s that are active on the internet.

What we see here is actually what you would expect. Power users gravitate towards message boards, and create multiple accounts. Regular users do not. The number of people directly affected will be obscured probably forever, but it sure as shit ain't the number this article uses.



Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
evolution_1ne said:

wouldn't be that far from the truth at all, since the euro, jap, and usa stores are completely different the vast majority of the psn user base has at least those 3 accounts


This inspired me to research. Now it is time for numbers! It turns out Sony released some very relevant information very recently. http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/01/27/sony-over-69-million-playstation-network-accounts/ By their numbers over 80% of PS3 users have at least one account. That is 40 million accounts by todays count. (50*0.8 So the 35 million number is complete bullshit based solely on the number of PS3s that are active on the internet.

What we see here is actually what you would expect. Power users gravitate towards message boards, and create multiple accounts. Regular users do not. The number of people directly affected will be obscured probably forever, but it sure as shit ain't the number this article uses.

you lost me at the last part lol



Gnizmo said:


Name is public. Address, phone number, email, passwords, and other bits are decidedly not considered public. They are, in fact, the definition of private information in many conversations. You are absolutely wrong about the identity bit. The information stolen is more than sufficient to commit identity theft and credit card fraud. I could probably sign-up for a credit card in your name with less actually.

Also, what is with the 35 million number? I haven't read or heard anything to that effect before. Is the claim that there is an average of over 2 accounts per person for the PSN now? Does nobody on the PSP ever use it? That ratio doesn't even come close to making sense to me. Anyone have confirmation of it from a remotely official source?

 

While I agree it is private information, its simply not true that  "The information stolen is more than sufficient to commit identity theft and credit card fraud. I could probably sign-up for a credit card in your name with less actually."



Around the Network
evolution_1ne said:

you lost me at the last part lol


The short of it is, people you see on this website have multiple accounts. Most PS3 users don't have multiple accounts depsite this.



Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Icyedge said:

 

While I agree it is private information, its simply not true that  "The information stolen is more than sufficient to commit identity theft and credit card fraud. I could probably sign-up for a credit card in your name with less actually."


Name, birthdate, and probably gender. Different address for obvious reasons. What else would you need really? Legally no one can require you to provide a SSN which means some credit card company will offer you one without that info. Alternatively you can simply fake one as they never get actually verified. I suspect there isn't actually a way to verify them easily based on my experience dealing with a state registry. What else would you need?



Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
evolution_1ne said:

you lost me at the last part lol


The short of it is, people you see on this website have multiple accounts. Most PS3 users don't have multiple accounts depsite this.



I believe more accounts have multiple users than you think. The reason I have 4 is because of girlfriend, nephew, my main, and one japanese... Resistance2, LBP, and LBP2 all make it that 2 users can play at the same time (from the games I play) I'd be pretty stunned if a lot of ps3s didnt have multiple accounts for different family members or friends coming over to play



Gnizmo said:
Icyedge said:
 

 

While I agree it is private information, its simply not true that  "The information stolen is more than sufficient to commit identity theft and credit card fraud. I could probably sign-up for a credit card in your name with less actually."


Name, birthdate, and probably gender. Different address for obvious reasons. What else would you need really? Legally no one can require you to provide a SSN which means some credit card company will offer you one without that info. Alternatively you can simply fake one as they never get actually verified. I suspect there isn't actually a way to verify them easily based on my experience dealing with a state registry. What else would you need?

Yes they do verify the other proof of identity (and they dont accept all of them), at least here in Canada. The data can serve for phishing though. If you think about it, the information stolen is very easy to get on anyone you barely know. I hope they do verify proof of identity in the states too.

Between, I deal with credit agencies almost everyday.



Max King of the Wild said:



I believe more accounts have multiple users than you think. The reason I have 4 is because of girlfriend, nephew, my main, and one japanese... Resistance2, LBP, and LBP2 all make it that 2 users can play at the same time (from the games I play) I'd be pretty stunned if a lot of ps3s didnt have multiple accounts for different family members or friends coming over to play


Check the link. 80% of PS3s are internet connected. That number alone pushes the average below 2. PSP will push it lower than that, but I have no hard info. The number of accounts per person is going to be closer to 1 than not.



Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229