Quantcast
Anonymous stops attack on PSN (doesn't want to harm customers)

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anonymous stops attack on PSN (doesn't want to harm customers)

"After a few days of ups and downs with the PSN network and many legit users seeing 80710D36 error code, the Anonymous group that been targetting Sony has issued this statement:

Quote:
Anonymous is not attacking the PSN at this time. Sony’s official position is that the PSN is undergoing maintenance. We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers.

But they left behind this list of demands early and posted a new video:

Quote:

1. Sony must allow for end-user modification of the PS3, as was available prior to the 3.21 firmware update.

2. Sony must end any attempts to bring legal action to alter a product they own.

3. Sony must not pursue legal action against any collected IP address.

 

News Source: AnonNews.org : Everything Anonymous

What follows is the now early restored original thread and story that been covered by many mainstream websites including our friends at Wired that first broke the original news story that Hacktivist group Anonymous had begun a series of Denial Of Service Attacks on Sony.

But we must inform are readers that PSX-SCENE.com is no way affiliated or promotes the actions of the “Anonymous” hacking group, we are reporting the news story on our forums to allow open "freedom of speech" discussion with our many active members and we totally discourage any promotion of DDoSing other servers and keep in mind this form of action is highly ILLEGAL in most countries!

Quote:

Anonymous, the notorious hacktivist group originating from the 4chan imageboard, has set its sights on Sony for alleged abuse, victimisation and privacy violations in the legal action against a group of PS3 hackers.

In an image, posted to the website AnonNews, a member of the group states, "Sony, you have now received the undivided attention of Anonymous. Your recent legal action against our fellow hackers, Geohot and Graf_Chokolo, has not only alarmed us, it has been deemed wholly unforgivable."

George "Geohot" Hotz and the German-born Alexander "graf_chokolo" Egorenkov are two of the hackers who dismantled the PlayStation 3's security architecture and made the information public. This data has made homebrew software, game piracy and cheating in online games a common occurrence on the console.

To fight back, Sony has entered a long and bitter legal campaign against the coders and their associates.

Since January 2011, Hotz has been entangled in a court case with Sony's American division. In February 2011, Sony Europe demanded German police raid Egorenkov's home and seize any equipment related to hacking the PS3. The Japanese gaming titan has also threatened to sue the cheeky coder for a whopping million euros.

Sony has also had varying degrees of success in demanding information from other sites and services in relation to the case. Paypal gave up all the information on Hotz's account and Sony was able to see the IP addresses of everyone who has visited the hacker's website.

The manifesto says that the forthcoming attacks will also be for reasons other than the legal actions against Hotz and Egorenkov. "Your corrupt business practices are indicative of a corporate philosophy that would deny consumers the right to use products they have paid for, and rightfully own, in the manner of their choosing," the poster reads.

"Perhaps you should alert your customers to the fact that they are apparently only renting your products?" it asks. "Anonymous would like to inform you that you have only been 'renting' your web domains."

Which, presumably, is a call to arms for DDoS attacks and other online villainy against Sony. The group, working under the name " Operation Payback" has used similar techniques to bring down websites for the MPAA and RIAA.

UPDATE #1: The website of the law firm representing Sony, Townsend, has also been taken down by an attack.

UPDATE #2: A member of the SonyRecon IRC channel claims to have left the "Chocolate Rain" song on the judge's voicemail.

UPDATE #3: In response to reports that hackers are targeting Sony employees and their families, KaKaRoToKS Tweeted the following...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaKaRoToKS
Just spoke with the guy from #SonyRecon, he assures me there is nothing like that, no attacks on people and no plans to, ONLY *recon*, gathering information that is already publicly available, in the hopes of finding something incriminating to help in the lawsuit. Anonymous is against violence or threatening/attacking people. He says nothing illegal is being done, and news sites are reporting the information wrong.

UPDATE #4: As of right now (Tuesday morning) it appears the attacks have ceased.

 

 

...Source, PSX-Scene...

 

http://psx-scene.com/forums/cmps_index.php



Around the Network

A more appropriate thread title would be...

Anonymous stops attack on PSN (Anonymous experience backlash from gaming community.  Hacking efforts thwarted by Prolexic Technologies.)

That's better.



Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Why pay so much attention to that shit "anonymous"?



ethomaz said:

Why pay so much attention to that shit "anonymous"?


Simply put, anonymous FAILED, and now they are trying to save face.  And you have those who were hoping for some unjustifiable harm to SONY, looking towards anonymous to do that harm. Since anonymous FAILED, those rooting for them have to sugar coat those failings to justify their support of them.



Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

http://irc.lc/AnonOps/Opsony

I'm not participating, but I find it fun to listen in.  If you read enough, you'll notice that some of the most diehard members are really misinformed.  Unless they've gotten less stupid about security, I'm hoping to see some arrests.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/27/arrested-uk-anonymous-web-attacks/



Around the Network
Jordahn said:

A more appropriate thread title would be...

Anonymous stops attack on PSN (Anonymous experience backlash from gaming community.  Hacking efforts thwarted by Prolexic Technologies.)

That's better.

Ummm no, they are carrying on just not going for PSN by sounds of things. Why do you think they are even doing it?



buglebum said:
Jordahn said:

A more appropriate thread title would be...

Anonymous stops attack on PSN (Anonymous experience backlash from gaming community.  Hacking efforts thwarted by Prolexic Technologies.)

That's better.

Ummm no, they are carrying on just not going for PSN by sounds of things. Why do you think they are even doing it?


Maybe because they are a bunch of douchebags for offending legit consumers such as I by harming my rights as a consumer?



Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Jordahn said:
buglebum said:
Jordahn said:

A more appropriate thread title would be...

Anonymous stops attack on PSN (Anonymous experience backlash from gaming community.  Hacking efforts thwarted by Prolexic Technologies.)

That's better.

Ummm no, they are carrying on just not going for PSN by sounds of things. Why do you think they are even doing it?


Maybe because they are a bunch of douchebags for offending legit consumer such as I by harming my right as a consumer?

/thread



Whoever wrote the article seems a little biased. Sony demanded this and that. Doesn't Sony request it and the court grants it, or demands it? It just seems like a little subjective embelishment. Aren't journalists supposed to be objective? Just my two cents.



ShinmenTakezo said:

Whoever wrote the article seems a little biased. Sony demanded this and that. Doesn't Sony request it and the court grants it, or demands it? It just seems like a little subjective embelishment. Aren't journalists supposed to be objective? Just my two cents.

Not gaming journalists, sorry.