Quantcast
360 been out a year longer than ps3...

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 been out a year longer than ps3...

Viper1 said:
Wagram said:

There is a year difference between the HD consoles and fanboys seem to completely disregard that. On a time from launch basis the PS3 is beating the 360 by a good margin.

It is 1.5 million ahead.  I suppose that's a good margin though it's no longer gaining any more ground.

Look up VGChartz data for reference. Go to this time exactly last year and look 360 sales compared to what the PS3 is at right now. It really shows. They launched at about the same time give or take a month and a year.



Around the Network

oh i cant be arsed with this again



...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:

oh i cant be arsed with this again


well said.



I'm not really here!

Link: Shipment History Since 1995


Microsoft has already accomplished what it needed to this generation which was take market share from Sony.    Even if Sony passes MS this gen it no longer matters, MS has its foot in the door and their is nothing Sony can do about it now.  That is Sony's failure this gen, letting Microsoft gain a huge market share and making them a viable third console manufaturer, even though MS had the RROD fiasco.  Sony passing MS no longer matters.



kowenicki said:
monsterone said:

...so if we were to adjust sales for comparable time on the market, which console has sold more? I have been wondering this for a while. seems odd that I havent scene this on the forums before. any info would be great.


its boring (been discussed a bazillion times)

irrelevant (an install base is an install base)

and bloody easy to work out.....

so why start a thread to ask?

It hasn't been discussed in a while, and he's wondering about something. Not everybody is brilliantly skilled at working out numbers or operating VGChartz. He's asking a sales related question that hasn't been discussed in the past month as far as I can see. Seece makes brilliant graphs on the subject, but graphs aren't everybody's niche.

It really wouldn't hurt to be a little nice, you know. If you think VGChartz used to be a better place, look at yourself, because being rude and bitchy to people for asking a question is pretty much the worst things go on Vgchartz.

Anyway, here's the sales.

Sales in the 12 months before the launch of Playstation 3:
 X360: 5.332 million

First 12 months with the Ps3 on the market:
X360: 7.602 million
Ps3: 5.829 million

Months 13-24 for the Ps3:
X360:  9.262 million
Ps3: 10.064 million

Months 25-36 for the Ps3:
X360:  10.988 million
Ps3:  10.796 million

Months 37-48 for the Ps3:
X360: 11.779 million
Ps3: 14.743 million

Months 49- present for the Ps3:
X360: 6.321 million
Ps3: 5.817 million

 

Or if you just want the difference between the sales now and back then, the Ps3 has outsold the X360 by roughly 1.3 million since then.



Around the Network
kowenicki said:
monsterone said:

...so if we were to adjust sales for comparable time on the market, which console has sold more? I have been wondering this for a while. seems odd that I havent scene this on the forums before. any info would be great.


its boring (been discussed a bazillion times)

irrelevant (an install base is an install base)

and bloody easy to work out.....

so why start a thread to ask?

This this this this this and this.

Also it's cherry picking.  After selling over 100 million consoles and dominated the competition for 10 years and 2 generations, the PS3 was supposed to rule all this gen.  People try and spin it all kinds of ways after the fact, but we all know that going back to 2005 and 2006 the common viewpoint was that the 360 was not going to sell anywhere near as much as the PS3 and would be passed in short order.  Yet here were are, into year 5 of the PS3 and it still hasn't happened yet.  So cherry picking little stats like this (as well as making a huge celebration of how close the PS3 is now) just isn't very constructive.



Wagram said:

There is a year difference between the HD consoles and fanboys seem to completely disregard that. On a time from launch basis the PS3 is beating the 360 by a good margin.

Au contraire, it's the fanboys that insist on aligning the launch dates so they can claim that PS3 is the king, boo hoo MS got a year head start, people are cherry picking as if releasing a product earlier is an illegal practice.

Gen started when MS released the 360, so the sales of all the consoles entering that gen count from the beginning. Wii came out later and still managed to whoop the 360.



Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Darth Tigris said:
kowenicki said:
monsterone said:

.


This this this this this and this.

Also it's cherry picking.  After selling over 100 million consoles and dominated the competition for 10 years and 2 generations, the PS3 was supposed to rule all this gen.  People try and spin it all kinds of ways after the fact, but we all know that going back to 2005 and 2006 the common viewpoint was that the 360 was not going to sell anywhere near as much as the PS3 and would be passed in short order.  Yet here were are, into year 5 of the PS3 and it still hasn't happened yet.  So cherry picking little stats like this (as well as making a huge celebration of how close the PS3 is now) just isn't very constructive.

To say it with your words.

THIS!



Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

 

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

monsterone said:

...so if we were to adjust sales for comparable time on the market, which console has sold more? I have been wondering this for a while. seems odd that I havent scene this on the forums before. any info would be great.


yes it seems odd i to havnt seen this discussed

to answer your question all we need to do is look at this sites data via vgchartz tab then you can custimize dates under data analysis then hardware table

PS3 total is 47.3 in about 220 weeks (launch-now)

360s total in that same time about 37.5 ( 360 launch- early 2010)

you also have to remember that PS3 launched in EU in Mar of 07 not in Nov of 06

 

shipped data

ps3 launch till now or 17 quarters worth of data 47.9M

360s launch till 17th quarter 38.8M

 



                                                             

                                                                      Play Me

Wagram said:

There is a year difference between the HD consoles and fanboys seem to completely disregard that. On a time from launch basis the PS3 is beating the 360 by a good margin.

It's not like getting that head start didn't come with some major draw backs. Microsoft had to put out a less powerful machine and didn't get to do thorough enough testing which probably resulted in the RROD fiasco. It was a ballsy move that paid off for MS and no one should take that away from them.