Quantcast
America's up!

Forums - Sales Discussion - America's up!

On topic, i find it hard to believe that the 360 can maintain this lead in the US for long.  I think Sony will have to do a lot of value added deals to keep up with them, as they can't afford to get a stigma in a market as big as the US.  Things will level out in the next 4-6 weeks in both the US and Europe.  It will be funny to see who jumps first and pushes the "I want to be in 1st place this year" button.  I would guess M$, as they like to spend money on the perception thing alot more than Sony.



Around the Network
DarkintheLight said:
landguy1 said:
DarkintheLight said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
DarkintheLight said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

XB360 and Kinect domination in America is just insane. Wii is doing well overall, but Wii Fit Plus has been kicked out of American Top 10 again. Nice second week for LBP2. Americans don't really hate GT5, but Sony could try harder to make them love it more. Move shows not big but decent legs in the short-mid term, and does it without heavy bundling. Kinect is just unstoppable and Malstrom -POOF!- disappeared.   

Edit: P.S. I was nearly forgetting, nice WW totals adjustments!   

Why do you think Kinect will have good legs? It's sales are dropping and frankly I don't see it last more then 6 months before dropping off almost completely 

Everything drops after Xmas. Kinect is dropping less steeply than many other things, and less than average, although its strength is very unbalanced towards USA and UK.

It drops every week, and frankly I don't see it going up ever 

Ever?  If it drops as precipitously as you proclaim, it will reach almost no sales within a few months.  It would only take a price cut or a good game for the numbers to go up from nearly nothing to double/triple in one week.  This would essentially make you point mute.

Besides that, the Kinect has connected with the lemmings already.  They will continue to go buy it as long as M$ continues to spend the marketing dollars to convince the overall market to do so.  With the Kinect install base being so large already, there will be a crapload of shovelware hitting stores by July or August.  If you sprikle in a few quality titles, the thing will have too much momentum to stop.  If you think that this is crazy, just call Iwata up at home and ask him how this works, i think he could vouch for the concept....

I disagree with the connecting to the lemmings, seems to me everyone who actually bought it was a impulse buy and they are having buyers remorse, I also don't think a new game or a price cut will help them that much, maybe a bit but still I stand by it being nearly dead after 6 months on the market 

I just don't see how you can believe that something that sold nearly 8 million in sixty days will go down to nothing in another 120 days?  The last data had it at 200k for the week ending Jan 22.  To do what your saying, it would have to drop 50% every week to be near nothing by the end of April.  Let me see, i can think of at least 3-4 extremely hot selling products to do that....  Oh, wait.. I can't.



hey guts dont you think 360 will cut price first



landguy1 said:
DarkintheLight said:
landguy1 said:
DarkintheLight said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
DarkintheLight said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

XB360 and Kinect domination in America is just insane. Wii is doing well overall, but Wii Fit Plus has been kicked out of American Top 10 again. Nice second week for LBP2. Americans don't really hate GT5, but Sony could try harder to make them love it more. Move shows not big but decent legs in the short-mid term, and does it without heavy bundling. Kinect is just unstoppable and Malstrom -POOF!- disappeared.   

Edit: P.S. I was nearly forgetting, nice WW totals adjustments!   

Why do you think Kinect will have good legs? It's sales are dropping and frankly I don't see it last more then 6 months before dropping off almost completely 

Everything drops after Xmas. Kinect is dropping less steeply than many other things, and less than average, although its strength is very unbalanced towards USA and UK.

It drops every week, and frankly I don't see it going up ever 

Ever?  If it drops as precipitously as you proclaim, it will reach almost no sales within a few months.  It would only take a price cut or a good game for the numbers to go up from nearly nothing to double/triple in one week.  This would essentially make you point mute.

Besides that, the Kinect has connected with the lemmings already.  They will continue to go buy it as long as M$ continues to spend the marketing dollars to convince the overall market to do so.  With the Kinect install base being so large already, there will be a crapload of shovelware hitting stores by July or August.  If you sprikle in a few quality titles, the thing will have too much momentum to stop.  If you think that this is crazy, just call Iwata up at home and ask him how this works, i think he could vouch for the concept....

I disagree with the connecting to the lemmings, seems to me everyone who actually bought it was a impulse buy and they are having buyers remorse, I also don't think a new game or a price cut will help them that much, maybe a bit but still I stand by it being nearly dead after 6 months on the market 

I just don't see how you can believe that something that sold nearly 8 million in sixty days will go down to nothing in another 120 days?  The last data had it at 200k for the week ending Jan 22.  To do what your saying, it would have to drop 50% every week to be near nothing by the end of April.  Let me see, i can think of at least 3-4 extremely hot selling products to do that....  Oh, wait.. I can't.

It's sales are a direct result of advertising, hype, a giant market push and people believing it's better then it is rather then the quality of the actual product, one of the guys were I was working a bit ago (middle age married) bought it because of pretty much the false promises and was quite underwhelmed , I suspect the majority of sales were like that, impulse buy, and when something sells a ton fast it's never because of quality (since it hasn't been out long enough for people to know if it's quality) like I said the longer it's on the market the worse it's going to do, the fact that MS waited till it was very close to holiday season to launch it makes me think they felt the same way 



thismeintiel said:

I fail to see what the sales of ME2 has to do with Xbox owners upgrading to the PS3, since the first ME was released on the 360. 

And RE4 is a horrible example to use.  First of all, the game was released on the Gamecube, which sold even worse than the newcomer, the Xbox.  Second, the majority of fans for the Resident Evil were most likely on the PS2 (as were most gamers in general), since the PS1 is where it got its start and was the home for its numerous sequels.  And third, around the time of the Gamecube version's release, Capcom had already announced a PS2 version for later that year.

As far as its success on Wii goes, it's the same principle as the PS2 HD collections on PS3.  People will rebuy games, if priced right, for nostalgia and/or if there are upgrades.  In the Wii's case, it was the new motion controls.  People who had bought or maybe just played it on Gamecube wanted to play it again, but with motion controls.  The fact that the sales for the Wii version are just under 200K above the Gamecube version supports this.

That those that waited to get a PS3 over a 360 have stronger brand loyalty to Sony, so even subconsciously there is a negative attitude toward games viewed as Xbox games, which ME has been this entire gen up until September of 2010.

As for dismissing my RE4 example as irrelevant isn't really giving it fair consideration.  RE4 was NEVER coming to another console (producer said he'd cut his own head off it it went to the PS2).  So you're saying that the only difference is that, since people knew it was coming a year late for the PS2, they waited and bought it up in numbers higher than the superior GC version, even with all of the main RE games going to the GC that gen?  Maybe core PS fans are that loyal ...

But the Wii version selling like it just really throws everything out.  Unannounced, same game to like the same or similar fanbase and it sold so more than the GC version.  And you're saying that a new control scheme was enough for all of these people to buy it twice??

You know, its ok to disagree, but being disagreeable is just not very becoming.  RE4 and ME2 are both fantastic GotY winners that should sell well despite late ports.  So far that's only the case with one of them ... 



Around the Network
DarkintheLight said:
landguy1 said:
DarkintheLight said:
landguy1 said:
DarkintheLight said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
DarkintheLight said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

XB360 and Kinect domination in America is just insane. Wii is doing well overall, but Wii Fit Plus has been kicked out of American Top 10 again. Nice second week for LBP2. Americans don't really hate GT5, but Sony could try harder to make them love it more. Move shows not big but decent legs in the short-mid term, and does it without heavy bundling. Kinect is just unstoppable and Malstrom -POOF!- disappeared.   

Edit: P.S. I was nearly forgetting, nice WW totals adjustments!   

Why do you think Kinect will have good legs? It's sales are dropping and frankly I don't see it last more then 6 months before dropping off almost completely 

Everything drops after Xmas. Kinect is dropping less steeply than many other things, and less than average, although its strength is very unbalanced towards USA and UK.

It drops every week, and frankly I don't see it going up ever 

Ever?  If it drops as precipitously as you proclaim, it will reach almost no sales within a few months.  It would only take a price cut or a good game for the numbers to go up from nearly nothing to double/triple in one week.  This would essentially make you point mute.

Besides that, the Kinect has connected with the lemmings already.  They will continue to go buy it as long as M$ continues to spend the marketing dollars to convince the overall market to do so.  With the Kinect install base being so large already, there will be a crapload of shovelware hitting stores by July or August.  If you sprikle in a few quality titles, the thing will have too much momentum to stop.  If you think that this is crazy, just call Iwata up at home and ask him how this works, i think he could vouch for the concept....

I disagree with the connecting to the lemmings, seems to me everyone who actually bought it was a impulse buy and they are having buyers remorse, I also don't think a new game or a price cut will help them that much, maybe a bit but still I stand by it being nearly dead after 6 months on the market 

I just don't see how you can believe that something that sold nearly 8 million in sixty days will go down to nothing in another 120 days?  The last data had it at 200k for the week ending Jan 22.  To do what your saying, it would have to drop 50% every week to be near nothing by the end of April.  Let me see, i can think of at least 3-4 extremely hot selling products to do that....  Oh, wait.. I can't.

It's sales are a direct result of advertising, hype, a giant market push and people believing it's better then it is rather then the quality of the actual product, one of the guys were I was working a bit ago (middle age married) bought it because of pretty much the false promises and was quite underwhelmed , I suspect the majority of sales were like that, impulse buy, and when something sells a ton fast it's never because of quality (since it hasn't been out long enough for people to know if it's quality) like I said the longer it's on the market the worse it's going to do, the fact that MS waited till it was very close to holiday season to launch it makes me think they felt the same way 

Funny, you sound like what almost half of the posts on this site and many others have stated about the Wii since its launch.  

I will say that I bought the 360 on launch day, the Wii on launch day, and the PS3 shortly after launch.  I bought the Kinect about 2 weeks after launch.  I hit the demo that you were speaking about, as i am 40 yrs old and have 4 kids at home.  The difference being, that after playing the Wii for years, i was impressed by the Kinect.  There were definite differences that actually made it harder at first, but once i got past the built in "this is how i did it on the other system" kinks, it does everything that they advertise.  Of course, this is the shiny new thing, so it gets used a lot more because of that.  But, like i have said in other posts, if they can get a steady stream of functional titles out there, it will always meet my expectations, if not exceed them.  



landguy1 said:
DarkintheLight said:
landguy1 said:
DarkintheLight said:
landguy1 said:
DarkintheLight said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
DarkintheLight said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

XB360 and Kinect domination in America is just insane. Wii is doing well overall, but Wii Fit Plus has been kicked out of American Top 10 again. Nice second week for LBP2. Americans don't really hate GT5, but Sony could try harder to make them love it more. Move shows not big but decent legs in the short-mid term, and does it without heavy bundling. Kinect is just unstoppable and Malstrom -POOF!- disappeared.   

Edit: P.S. I was nearly forgetting, nice WW totals adjustments!   

Why do you think Kinect will have good legs? It's sales are dropping and frankly I don't see it last more then 6 months before dropping off almost completely 

Everything drops after Xmas. Kinect is dropping less steeply than many other things, and less than average, although its strength is very unbalanced towards USA and UK.

It drops every week, and frankly I don't see it going up ever 

Ever?  If it drops as precipitously as you proclaim, it will reach almost no sales within a few months.  It would only take a price cut or a good game for the numbers to go up from nearly nothing to double/triple in one week.  This would essentially make you point mute.

Besides that, the Kinect has connected with the lemmings already.  They will continue to go buy it as long as M$ continues to spend the marketing dollars to convince the overall market to do so.  With the Kinect install base being so large already, there will be a crapload of shovelware hitting stores by July or August.  If you sprikle in a few quality titles, the thing will have too much momentum to stop.  If you think that this is crazy, just call Iwata up at home and ask him how this works, i think he could vouch for the concept....

I disagree with the connecting to the lemmings, seems to me everyone who actually bought it was a impulse buy and they are having buyers remorse, I also don't think a new game or a price cut will help them that much, maybe a bit but still I stand by it being nearly dead after 6 months on the market 

I just don't see how you can believe that something that sold nearly 8 million in sixty days will go down to nothing in another 120 days?  The last data had it at 200k for the week ending Jan 22.  To do what your saying, it would have to drop 50% every week to be near nothing by the end of April.  Let me see, i can think of at least 3-4 extremely hot selling products to do that....  Oh, wait.. I can't.

It's sales are a direct result of advertising, hype, a giant market push and people believing it's better then it is rather then the quality of the actual product, one of the guys were I was working a bit ago (middle age married) bought it because of pretty much the false promises and was quite underwhelmed , I suspect the majority of sales were like that, impulse buy, and when something sells a ton fast it's never because of quality (since it hasn't been out long enough for people to know if it's quality) like I said the longer it's on the market the worse it's going to do, the fact that MS waited till it was very close to holiday season to launch it makes me think they felt the same way 

Funny, you sound like what almost half of the posts on this site and many others have stated about the Wii since its launch.  

I will say that I bought the 360 on launch day, the Wii on launch day, and the PS3 shortly after launch.  I bought the Kinect about 2 weeks after launch.  I hit the demo that you were speaking about, as i am 40 yrs old and have 4 kids at home.  The difference being, that after playing the Wii for years, i was impressed by the Kinect.  There were definite differences that actually made it harder at first, but once i got past the built in "this is how i did it on the other system" kinks, it does everything that they advertise.  Of course, this is the shiny new thing, so it gets used a lot more because of that.  But, like i have said in other posts, if they can get a steady stream of functional titles out there, it will always meet my expectations, if not exceed them.  

The difference between wii and kinect is that wii is a full feldge system, came out years ago and was nintendos (the oldest successful brand name in video gaming) and I just don't see Kinect coming even close to getting the market appeal it did people who want it aren't waiting for a price cut, a few will be waiting for better games but I don't see it doing anything more then it already has so again I don't see it's sales increasing by any significant amount ever, not everyone is as easy to please as you guess we just have to wait another 3 months to find out who's right 



Wow! Americas is going to cause 360 to be the biggest seller WW this week. Kinect is driving 360 sales in America like nowhere else. Kinda odd really, because I would have expected the appeal of Kinect to be pretty much the same between Americas and EMEAA, never expected much for Kinect from Japan and that's pretty much been born out.



“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

 

if i was Sony, i would not cut the price for the PS3 this year !

 

 

i would let the strong line up of games sell my console and advertise it that way ! this would reult in stronger revenue for Sony, and it will keep themin excellent grounds wothout he need to cut the price ! then mid next year cut the price of the PS3 to $250.00 USD then let it begin !

 

 

it would be a smatter move for them to have another 15 million consoles sell with good profits and not to mention the AMAZING/EPIC lineup of games they have ! and the PS2 is really a CASHCOW ! so i think they should pleay it safe and not cut the price this year !



sexc_abbas said:

if i was Sony, i would not cut the price for the PS3 this year !

 

 

i would let the strong line up of games sell my console and advertise it that way ! this would reult in stronger revenue for Sony, and it will keep themin excellent grounds wothout he need to cut the price ! then mid next year cut the price of the PS3 to $250.00 USD then let it begin !

 

 

it would be a smatter move for them to have another 15 million consoles sell with good profits and not to mention the AMAZING/EPIC lineup of games they have ! and the PS2 is really a CASHCOW ! so i think they should pleay it safe and not cut the price this year !

Sony is only going to cut the price if MS does first, and any price cut would benefit Sony more then MS at this point