Quantcast
So, Wii 2 announced this year?

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Wii 2 announced this year?

Smashchu2 said:
trestres said:
Smashchu2 said:
trestres said:
Smashchu2 said:

Nintendo wil announce one when they think the competition will (Sony). The 3DS is a testement to that. They show it off at E3, and Sony reveals the NPG in January of this year. Nintendo knows it will be death if they release it late. Expect it in 2012 to 2014, which is a resonable window for when competion may enter.

Nintendo will not do it as a result of laging sales. Nintendo's strategy is release game, and they have mentioned it everytime they talk about their Wii sales. This year is the year where they will have the software ready to try and start growth (stallled do to the 2 year development cycle of games).


That 2 year cycle thing is nonsense, Nintendo always has games in the works, is not as if they had just 2 teams ready which work strictly for 2 years in a game. Nintendo is doing as much as it can in regards to slowing sales, but the aging component also comes into play here. Nintendo cannot reverse a trend that simply, so it's alraedy time to stop believing Wii sales will explode once again due to some "magic hardware driving software". No such thing exists. NSMBWii didn't manage that on its own in 2009, price cut and new colors came into play too. I think you are overestimating what Nintendo can or cannot do, and no, there's no such thing as the 2 year cycle.

Games take about 2 years, though it can very depending on the project and it's probably longer for the HD twins. This means if Nintendo had a goal for any project, it would have to have been two years back. The Wii declined in early 2009. This means any software made as a response to this would have been started, at the earliest, in early 2009. Two years from that point is early 2011.

Look at the major games Nintendo released in the last two years and you'll see what I mean.

  • Wii Sport Resort
  • Wii Fit Plus
  • New Super Mario Bros Wii
  • Punch-Out
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Metroid: Other M
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Wii Party
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns

The two bolded are probably the only games made to try to combat this problem, as they would take the shortest time. Wii Party may have been made for this goal, but Nintendo likely never had high expectations for it since they announced it before E3. Outside of Donkey Kong Country Returns, none of these titles would boost software sales. Most of these games entered production when Wii sales were still good.

    So where are the games? NSMBWii came less than a year after the slow sales started, completely negating your argument. WSR is far more important than Wii Fit plus, as the latter was just an expansion and not meant to improve sales. WSR on the other hand was, since it introduced the Motion Plus. But that was less than half a year after the slowing sales, once again contradicting your reasoning.

    And now that we are 2 years exactly after slow sales commenced, where are the games? That 2 year figure is inexistant. The games should have been here and they are not. What's worse is that their current 1st party line up is extremely weak, there are no notable games.

    It doesn't meanthe games will magically start popping up in exactly 2 years. That idea is too literal. Also, the earliest the games could be started was 2009. It could be anywhere from March to October, depending on variations of development time and when the project was decided to enter production. Nintendo is probably being conservative and waiting until the later half of the year for anything (including Skyward Sword). let's also not forget that we know nothing about Nintendo 2011 line up because they wont tell us until later.

    So where are the games? NSMBWii came less than a year after the slow sales started, completely negating your argument.

    The two bolded are probably the only games made to try to combat this problem, as they would take the shortest time. I mentioned in another thread they could have as short as a 1 year cycle and they have been in production earlier.

    I must also ask, what is your reasoning to release a new console. If you were in Nintendo's board room, surrounded by men who graduated from some of the best schools in Japan and probably have a lot of experience in the feild. What would you, posting on VGchartz, say to them for slower Wii sales?

    Time to move on. That's what I'd say. Publishers are ignoring the console, why bother anymore? Sales are dying and competitors are seeing rising sales. Investors are wondering how will Nintendo manage to stop the downfall but there's no apparent answer. Plus the console has been very successful and the brand association would be good for next gen while the console is still mentioned in the media. Nintendo has to solve the third party issues. We know most of the companies hate the Wii console and feel repulsion for it, aversion for developing games for the Wii. Nintendo has to start working now on attracting the developers to their console and what's better than a new console, one that publishers won't hate if approached now by Nintendo before Sony and MS make a move first. Waiting for the competition to start next gen would be suicidal and would led to worse results in terms of support. Wii 2 would just be a 1st party machine, way more than what the Wii was. Plus the console is dead in Japan, in their homeland. It would be a big hit for them as a company to start getting outsold by Sony once again, which is getting all of the third party games.

    Nintendo is clueless right now in regards to the Wii, it's better to move on than sink even more, at least in Japan. The West will follow suit soon as there is barely no new content for it in the upcoming first half of the year, and sales are already way below what they were last year during this period. Investors don't like to be fooled by the same promises over and over again, they want to see results. 3DS was done in order for Nintendo to maintain supremacy in the handheld market, as SW sales started to die and HW declined fast (and even then it was still selling more HW than the Wii). Wii SW sales are dying pretty much, with now 2 games bundled and a way bigger userbase, SW sales are DOWN from last FY in the same time frames, and the last quarter of this FY will only make things worse as there's no big SW coming up soon.

    Now tell me, what would you say to them?



    Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

    tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

    Bets with Conegamer:

    Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
    Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
    Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

    Fullfilled Prophecies

    Around the Network

    dont beleive will see anonther nintendo console till at least 2013

    wonder which one will release first for next gen out of the 3, they might all get released the same year



                                                                    

                                                                          Play Me

    have we heard rumors about wii 2 beyond wishful thinking? i mean there were (accurate) rumors rampant for NGP and 3DS before they were  announced, i'm talking devkits and developers hinting about stuff. when that starts happening then you can expect a announcement os near. 



     

    trestres said:

    Time to move on. That's what I'd say. Publishers are ignoring the console, why bother anymore? Sales are dying and competitors are seeing rising sales. Investors are wondering how will Nintendo manage to stop the downfall but there's no apparent answer. Plus the console has been very successful and the brand association would be good for next gen while the console is still mentioned in the media. Nintendo has to solve the third party issues. We know most of the companies hate the Wii console and feel repulsion for it, aversion for developing games for the Wii. Nintendo has to start working now on attracting the developers to their console and what's better than a new console, one that publishers won't hate if approached now by Nintendo before Sony and MS make a move first. Waiting for the competition to start next gen would be suicidal and would led to worse results in terms of support. Wii 2 would just be a 1st party machine, way more than what the Wii was. Plus the console is dead in Japan, in their homeland. It would be a big hit for them as a company to start getting outsold by Sony once again, which is getting all of the third party games.

    Nintendo is clueless right now in regards to the Wii, it's better to move on than sink even more, at least in Japan. The West will follow suit soon as there is barely no new content for it in the upcoming first half of the year, and sales are already way below what they were last year during this period. Investors don't like to be fooled by the same promises over and over again, they want to see results. 3DS was done in order for Nintendo to maintain supremacy in the handheld market, as SW sales started to die and HW declined fast (and even then it was still selling more HW than the Wii). Wii SW sales are dying pretty much, with now 2 games bundled and a way bigger userbase, SW sales are DOWN from last FY in the same time frames, and the last quarter of this FY will only make things worse as there's no big SW coming up soon.

    Now tell me, what would you say to them?

    A simple Wii redesign would solve that solution. It made wonders for the 2nd and 3rd place consoles this gen, it sure would skyrocket sales if a fresh Wii that is basically the same thing was out.

    Now you can say that PS360 software also helped to improve sales. That's true, thats why Nintendo has the most sold console this gen, their software is the most popular. A Slim Wii plus a fresh new wave of titles would make it all the way through the end of 2012, no worries.

    Question is? Nintendo wants that? Will they be quick to put a successor on the market? Or will they wait longer for Sony and Microsoft to compromise themselves with a new gen so they will take 3~4 years to copy Nintendo new innovation?

    Thats the questions we need an answer. Obviously Nintendo knows their next innovation is gonna be trash talked and then blatantly ripped off. And this time it might happen sooner.

     



    trestres said:

    So where are the games? NSMBWii came less than a year after the slow sales started, completely negating your argument. WSR is far more important than Wii Fit plus, as the latter was just an expansion and not meant to improve sales. WSR on the other hand was, since it introduced the Motion Plus. But that was less than half a year after the slowing sales, once again contradicting your reasoning.

    And now that we are 2 years exactly after slow sales commenced, where are the games? That 2 year figure is inexistant. The games should have been here and they are not. What's worse is that their current 1st party line up is extremely weak, there are no notable games.

    2 years cycle for games is real. At the beggining of the E3 2009 show, Iwata was in stage, and show a picture of Mario and Link and told to the audience that they were making new Mario and Zelda titles.

    At the final, press asked him about that games, and he tell them that we have to wait, because those titles need between two or three years of development.  These are some examples:

    Super Mario Galaxy (2007) - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) >>> 2 and a half years

    Wii Sports (2006) - Wii Sports Resorts (2009) >>> 2 and a half years

    And from others generations, Zelda is the best example:

    Ocarina of Time (1998) - Majora's Mask (2000) >>> 2 years

    Majora's Mask (2000) - The Wind Waker (2002-Japan) >>> 2 years

    Metroid Prime (2002) - Metroid Prime 2 (2004) >>> 2 years

     

    Is not that Nintendo isn't developing other titles, but from what I understand, is possible a Wii Sports 3, Wii Fit 3, NSMBWii 2 this year.



    Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

    Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

    DKCTF didn't move consoles

    Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

    Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile


    Around the Network
    Mr.Metralha said:
    trestres said:

    Time ...

    A simple Wii redesign would solve that solution. It made wonders for the 2nd and 3rd place consoles this gen, it sure would skyrocket sales if a fresh Wii that is basically the same thing was out.

     


    This is what surprise me. For some reason, a new redesign or new controllers work well on other consoles, but for Wii that's not an opption.



    Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

    Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

    DKCTF didn't move consoles

    Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

    Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile


    Pavolink said:
    trestres said:

    So where are the games? NSMBWii came less than a year after the slow sales started, completely negating your argument. WSR is far more important than Wii Fit plus, as the latter was just an expansion and not meant to improve sales. WSR on the other hand was, since it introduced the Motion Plus. But that was less than half a year after the slowing sales, once again contradicting your reasoning.

    And now that we are 2 years exactly after slow sales commenced, where are the games? That 2 year figure is inexistant. The games should have been here and they are not. What's worse is that their current 1st party line up is extremely weak, there are no notable games.

    2 years cycle for games is real. At the beggining of the E3 2009 show, Iwata was in stage, and show a picture of Mario (Mario Bros.) and Link (Zelda) and told to the audience that they were making new Mario and Zelda titles.

    At the final, press asked him about that games, and he tell them that we have to wait, because those titles need between two or three years of development.  These are some examples:

    Super Mario Galaxy (2007) - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) >>> 2 and a half years

    Wii Sports (2006) - Wii Sports Resorts (2009) >>> 2 and a half years

    And from others generations, Zelda is the best example:

    Ocarina of Time (1998) - Majora's Mask (2000) >>> 2 years

    Majora's Mask (2000) - The Wind Waker (2002-Japan) >>> 2 years

    Metroid Prime (2002) - Metroid Prime 2 (2004) >>> 2 years

     

    Is not that Nintendo isn't developing other titles, but from what I understand, is possible a Wii Sports 3, Wii Fit 3, NSMBWii 2.

    I never said that there weren't games that had 2 year dev cycles. What I told him is that the 2 year thing in this case makes no sense. There are games like Zelda that take up to 5 years to make, or even Pikmin which has been in production for almost 3 years now. TLS took a long time as well. Then there's the direct sequels or games using same engines that obviously won't take that long. going by his logi games should have been ready by now. And he also says that those games will undoubtedly move hardware. If Nintendo was capable of such thing they wouldn't have allowed a 2 year period without such games, as they have plenty of teams. Nintendo doesn't know what will move hardware or not, I remember Miyamoto saying during an interview something along the lines of that. Like how they didn't expect Tomodachi Collection to become such a big hit, or how Wii Music failed. Plus the 2D Mario card is alraedy used, next time there won't be a spike in sales because of it. Just like there wasn't one when Wii Fit Plus or WSR were released.



    Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

    tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

    Bets with Conegamer:

    Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
    Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
    Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

    Fullfilled Prophecies

    Pavolink said:
    Mr.Metralha said:
    trestres said:

    Time ...

    A simple Wii redesign would solve that solution. It made wonders for the 2nd and 3rd place consoles this gen, it sure would skyrocket sales if a fresh Wii that is basically the same thing was out.

     


    This is what surprise me. For some reason, a new redesign or new controllers work well on other consoles, but for Wii that's not an opption.

    How would an aesthetical redesign help the Wii? It can't be made any smaller anyways since the technology was from last gen and components small enough to make the actual Wii the size it is. 360 and PS3 added features or decreased the power consumption/made the console more reliable.

    Wii is alraedy small, reliable and energy efficient. What would a redesign add? That's what colours or limited edition are here for. Nintendo didn't redesign the N64 or the GC. They won't redesign the Wii.



    Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

    tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

    Bets with Conegamer:

    Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
    Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
    Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

    Fullfilled Prophecies

    trestres said:
    Smashchu2 said:
    trestres said:

    So where are the games? NSMBWii came less than a year after the slow sales started, completely negating your argument. WSR is far more important than Wii Fit plus, as the latter was just an expansion and not meant to improve sales. WSR on the other hand was, since it introduced the Motion Plus. But that was less than half a year after the slowing sales, once again contradicting your reasoning.

    And now that we are 2 years exactly after slow sales commenced, where are the games? That 2 year figure is inexistant. The games should have been here and they are not. What's worse is that their current 1st party line up is extremely weak, there are no notable games.

    It doesn't meanthe games will magically start popping up in exactly 2 years. That idea is too literal. Also, the earliest the games could be started was 2009. It could be anywhere from March to October, depending on variations of development time and when the project was decided to enter production. Nintendo is probably being conservative and waiting until the later half of the year for anything (including Skyward Sword). let's also not forget that we know nothing about Nintendo 2011 line up because they wont tell us until later.

    So where are the games? NSMBWii came less than a year after the slow sales started, completely negating your argument.

    The two bolded are probably the only games made to try to combat this problem, as they would take the shortest time. I mentioned in another thread they could have as short as a 1 year cycle and they have been in production earlier.

    I must also ask, what is your reasoning to release a new console. If you were in Nintendo's board room, surrounded by men who graduated from some of the best schools in Japan and probably have a lot of experience in the feild. What would you, posting on VGchartz, say to them for slower Wii sales?

    Time to move on. That's what I'd say. Publishers are ignoring the console, why bother anymore? Sales are dying and competitors are seeing rising sales. Investors are wondering how will Nintendo manage to stop the downfall but there's no apparent answer. Plus the console has been very successful and the brand association would be good for next gen while the console is still mentioned in the media. Nintendo has to solve the third party issues. We know most of the companies hate the Wii console and feel repulsion for it, aversion for developing games for the Wii. Nintendo has to start working now on attracting the developers to their console and what's better than a new console, one that publishers won't hate if approached now by Nintendo before Sony and MS make a move first. Waiting for the competition to start next gen would be suicidal and would led to worse results in terms of support. Wii 2 would just be a 1st party machine, way more than what the Wii was. Plus the console is dead in Japan, in their homeland. It would be a big hit for them as a company to start getting outsold by Sony once again, which is getting all of the third party games.

    Nintendo is clueless right now in regards to the Wii, it's better to move on than sink even more, at least in Japan. The West will follow suit soon as there is barely no new content for it in the upcoming first half of the year, and sales are already way below what they were last year during this period. Investors don't like to be fooled by the same promises over and over again, they want to see results. 3DS was done in order for Nintendo to maintain supremacy in the handheld market, as SW sales started to die and HW declined fast (and even then it was still selling more HW than the Wii). Wii SW sales are dying pretty much, with now 2 games bundled and a way bigger userbase, SW sales are DOWN from last FY in the same time frames, and the last quarter of this FY will only make things worse as there's no big SW coming up soon.

    Now tell me, what would you say to them?

    One of the problems with VGchartz is it's NeoGAF with sales data. The people who post here are your regular forum goer rather than people who study business or those who have experience.

    Needless to say, paid executives with experience and knowledge would tear though your advice. There is a good reason I said "Tell the exects what to do," rather than "What is your idea." Now you need to be smarter then them. Let's look at some things they might say

    1. The economy is bad. They will say releasing a console is bad unless there is a damn good reason (like competition). People don't have the money to buy a $200 or $300 console plus games. While you may say that we are trying to get new users, you'll also have to sell it to the old ones instead.
    2. There are a lot of up front cost. You will lose money before you make it (and if your Sony, you'll just lose it). You have to produce the console, advertise it, make games for it, get third party support involved, and be able to get it in people's hands. Releasing a console is is not something you snap your fingures and do
    3. It's very risky. You are betting that people will buy your console. Software is easy because people who own the console might buy it and, if it's good enough, it will push sales forward. With a console release, if it doesn't go as expect, you lose for the next few years. You are gambling with a lot of money.
    4. It's easier to try to increase sales of an existing system then release a new one all together. There are ways to do it. Release compelling software, even a price cut could work. It's more practical to do that rather then say "We, we'll just have to release a new console."
    5. Lastly?

    You said nothing about customers. Customers are the reason we can make money. None of what you said takes what the customer thinks into consideration. Would current Wii owners want to buy Wii 2? Could those customers feel cheated because of the dismissal of Motion controls? How would we attract new customers? These are questions your solution does address.

    What a lot of people don't understand is what is at stake. There are millions of dollars on the line with these decisions. You say Nintendo is clueless. I disagree. They are still making profit, so they are doing something right. I'd say the people here are clueless. That is why Nintendo hasn't rushed to your door and hired you (Reggie has said Nintendo does view message boards out there).

    Now, what would I tell Nintendo. I would tell them to focus on making software that sells. People bought the Wii for motion control games. They have motion plus. Why not make a lot of motion plus games. Make a new Starfox game, or maybe Nazo no Murasame-jō, or use something like an archery game. People would love to have good motion games, something Nintendo has dropped a bit. I also would have told them to kill games like Galaxy 2 and Other M and redirect the software towards the expanded audience. I'd also say to invest in non-game, those that break the mold of what a game is. Art Acadamy, which didn't get a lot of attention, did very well in Europe and is even used in Museums. These games are always a good investment.

    Funny enough, this is likely the solution Nintendo is doing.



    trestres said:

    I never said that there weren't games that had 2 year dev cycles. What I told him is that the 2 year thing in this case makes no sense. There are games like Zelda that take up to 5 years to make, or even Pikmin which has been in production for almost 3 years now. TLS took a long time as well. Then there's the direct sequels or games using same engines that obviously won't take that long. going by his logi games should have been ready by now. And he also says that those games will undoubtedly move hardware. If Nintendo was capable of such thing they wouldn't have allowed a 2 year period without such games, as they have plenty of teams. Nintendo doesn't know what will move hardware or not, I remember Miyamoto saying during an interview something along the lines of that. Like how they didn't expect Tomodachi Collection to become such a big hit, or how Wii Music failed. Plus the 2D Mario card is alraedy used, next time there won't be a spike in sales because of it. Just like there wasn't one when Wii Fit Plus or WSR were released.

    NSMBWii 2 (if exist) won't have the same sales effect as the first that's for sure, but it can move hardware, as Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sports Resort before the price cut. Or like every Call of Duty or every Halo.

    They can use this cards again, at least to not be in third place or in a distant third place.



    Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

    Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

    DKCTF didn't move consoles

    Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

    Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile