Quantcast
The 3DS vs PSP2 (NGP) battle: Who will win the console wars ?

Forums - Sales Discussion - The 3DS vs PSP2 (NGP) battle: Who will win the console wars ?

pizzahut451 said:
UnknownFact said:

3DS will win because of the huge DS established fandom.

But gap will not be as big as DS/PSP.

Sony will have to come up with a surprise like Microsoft did with X360 to be able to actually win this.


What fandom? 12 year old girls and soccer moms?? Im sorry, but huge part of DS's userbase isnt all nintendo fans, but casual players who simply buy everything that is ''new'' and fancy. Thats why they all jumped to Wii insted of PS3.If established fandom determens the winner, than PS3 should have easly been the best selling console, because of PS2's userbase. Im betting that, to most of them, 3DS is just another upgraded model of normal DS. DS, DSLite, DSi, DSXL, 3DS, you cant really know that the last one is ''next gen'' if you dont check gaming web sites, and most of DS users dont.

gaming websites mean jack shit in the sales department.  Look not further than say okami or zak and wiki for that.

What is going to sell the NGP or the 3DS will be hands on.  People being SHOWN the system by friends/family or by a clerk at a store or the system sitting there (whatever they call a console kiosk basically)

Advertising on TV will obviously help as well, but with the prices of these two items (no word yet on NGP of course) people will be hesitent still going into store before they purchase and be more likely to try as i said the kiosk above and see wahts so special before speding $250 on one or the other. 

Which then it boils down to seeing pretty graphics on the NGP or somehow 3D graphics on the 3DS.  Just thinking i can't imagine how the later will not impress them more than the former.  Now on to extra features of GPS, 3G, back touch, street tag, only one friend code, ect on to all the other gajillion features between teh two.  Obviously we on the forums can see that the NGP wins in this department.  BUT the consumer can't see all these and/or would be confused being told about all these int eh store.  They are going to rely on just the ONE thing.  Amazing graphics vs. 3D without glasses.  I see the later being as was said towards Wii, a bigger fad.



Around the Network

If 3G allows you to play games like Cod and Mh online anywhere lagfree and not like now where you have to be in a hotspot and ultra lag. I think it can be huge. No really, in Japan it will be first place easily, if Sony does this well. Worldwide, probably not, but it can be closer than last time. 3DS is gonna sell more though. And if i know Sony this console will not end up as promising as it looks atm.



Yes I think 3DS will be just as dominant as the DS over PSP.

 

 

Even after Sony announces that PSP2 is compatible with 3D glasses.



Lucas-Rio said:

3DS is cheaper, has a more marketable feature (3D more marketable than power) , is the successor of the most successuful console ever, is supported by Nintendo and all his best sellers, has a strong support from third parties, and will be released first.

@bolded: Great reasoning - Agree completely

Most impressive point imo: "has more marketable features" - - I never thought of it that way but it's 100% true - 3D is much more marketable than power

Overall great thread :)

PS: Why no profile pic yet? Profile pic = easier to know who you are!



HappySqurriel said:

I had the distinct feeling of déjà vu with the announcement of the PSP2, with the exception that the PSP2 may be at a much greater disadvantage than the PSP was ...

I don't think it is questionable that the PSP2 will release significantly later than the 3DS, at a significantly higher price, with games that are probably much more expensive, and with much more expensive and time consuming game development; and these are all the same disadvantages the PSP had but, in relative terms, each of these disadvantages may be worse for the PSP2 than they were for the PSP.

To make matters worse, unlike the Nintendo DS, third party publishers are actually betting quite heavily on the 3DS; and it doesn't seem like anyone is expecting the PSP2 to dominante simply because it is a playstation.

I've been thinking the same thing since 3DS's lineup was announced



Around the Network
elticker said:

since when were they consoles i thought they were handhelds


Home console.

Handheld console.

 

Neither has any more right to be called a console than the other

 

Anyway, I'm likely gonna get the 3DS for the same reason as the OP



The handheld market is one I really don't understand from a gaming point of view.  I don't like handhelds and I won't be buying either product.  With that being said I don't see this ending well for the NGP, it's specs seem to indicate it is trying to capture a hardcore market and that isn't what the handheld market is made of.  At it's core a handheld market is a casual market, something parents by for their pre-teen to keep them occupied.  The increased competition from the cell phone market and the low margin on gaming revenue for the micro games people are now buying on these products, I can see the NGP being the odd man out. 

3DS seems to have the right idea, introduce a new concept, keep it kid friendly, and play to the base that caused DS to be such a huge success. 



irstupid said:
pizzahut451 said:
UnknownFact said:

3DS will win because of the huge DS established fandom.

But gap will not be as big as DS/PSP.

Sony will have to come up with a surprise like Microsoft did with X360 to be able to actually win this.


What fandom? 12 year old girls and soccer moms?? Im sorry, but huge part of DS's userbase isnt all nintendo fans, but casual players who simply buy everything that is ''new'' and fancy. Thats why they all jumped to Wii insted of PS3.If established fandom determens the winner, than PS3 should have easly been the best selling console, because of PS2's userbase. Im betting that, to most of them, 3DS is just another upgraded model of normal DS. DS, DSLite, DSi, DSXL, 3DS, you cant really know that the last one is ''next gen'' if you dont check gaming web sites, and most of DS users dont.

gaming websites mean jack shit in the sales department.  Look not further than say okami or zak and wiki for that.

What is going to sell the NGP or the 3DS will be hands on.  People being SHOWN the system by friends/family or by a clerk at a store or the system sitting there (whatever they call a console kiosk basically)

Advertising on TV will obviously help as well, but with the prices of these two items (no word yet on NGP of course) people will be hesitent still going into store before they purchase and be more likely to try as i said the kiosk above and see wahts so special before speding $250 on one or the other.

Which then it boils down to seeing pretty graphics on the NGP or somehow 3D graphics on the 3DS.  Just thinking i can't imagine how the later will not impress them more than the former.  Now on to extra features of GPS, 3G, back touch, street tag, only one friend code, ect on to all the other gajillion features between teh two.  Obviously we on the forums can see that the NGP wins in this department.  BUT the consumer can't see all these and/or would be confused being told about all these int eh store.  They are going to rely on just the ONE thing.  Amazing graphics vs. 3D without glasses.  I see the later being as was said towards Wii, a bigger fad.

you do know that hes talking about fandom. not god damn sales.

good overreaction.

next time please attention and dont start a rant talking about sales, we all know 3ds is going to destroy(except gilgamesh) and the person above was pointing out that fans from the previous gen dont guarantee you 1st place.



Being in 3rd place never felt so good

zgamer5 said:
irstupid said:
pizzahut451 said:
UnknownFact said:

3DS will win because of the huge DS established fandom.

But gap will not be as big as DS/PSP.

Sony will have to come up with a surprise like Microsoft did with X360 to be able to actually win this.


What fandom? 12 year old girls and soccer moms?? Im sorry, but huge part of DS's userbase isnt all nintendo fans, but casual players who simply buy everything that is ''new'' and fancy. Thats why they all jumped to Wii insted of PS3.If established fandom determens the winner, than PS3 should have easly been the best selling console, because of PS2's userbase. Im betting that, to most of them, 3DS is just another upgraded model of normal DS. DS, DSLite, DSi, DSXL, 3DS, you cant really know that the last one is ''next gen'' if you dont check gaming web sites, and most of DS users dont.

gaming websites mean jack shit in the sales department.  Look not further than say okami or zak and wiki for that.

What is going to sell the NGP or the 3DS will be hands on.  People being SHOWN the system by friends/family or by a clerk at a store or the system sitting there (whatever they call a console kiosk basically)

Advertising on TV will obviously help as well, but with the prices of these two items (no word yet on NGP of course) people will be hesitent still going into store before they purchase and be more likely to try as i said the kiosk above and see wahts so special before speding $250 on one or the other.

Which then it boils down to seeing pretty graphics on the NGP or somehow 3D graphics on the 3DS.  Just thinking i can't imagine how the later will not impress them more than the former.  Now on to extra features of GPS, 3G, back touch, street tag, only one friend code, ect on to all the other gajillion features between teh two.  Obviously we on the forums can see that the NGP wins in this department.  BUT the consumer can't see all these and/or would be confused being told about all these int eh store.  They are going to rely on just the ONE thing.  Amazing graphics vs. 3D without glasses.  I see the later being as was said towards Wii, a bigger fad.

you do know that hes talking about fandom. not god damn sales.

good overreaction.

next time please attention and dont start a rant talking about sales, we all know 3ds is going to destroy(except gilgamesh) and the person above was pointing out that fans from the previous gen dont guarantee you 1st place.

i was saying fandom means jack shit.  only online is there such a thing as fandom

the average consumer dont' go in and go "OMG i need the new sony or nintendo"  while yes there is brand recognition, which leads to a lot of consumers buying the wrong gift for their child or refer to say video games as a playstation or a nintendo. 

BUT as I was saying if they are going to be getting say their kid or even heck themselves somethign new, they will be shown both most likely unless set on one while entering and then it will come down to the few seconds on the system going wow fancy graphics, or wow 3D.  ignore the rest of the features, telling them it all will just confuse them and turn them off a purchase probably even.

you guys over-estimate fandom.  before the playstation 1, vidoe games were called nintendo.  then before wii, people would refer to vidoe games as playstations.  they aren't die hard fans of said system by saying that, that is just how they thought they were called.  there idiots.  now video games are back to being nintendo's by the general consumer.  does this mean that 3DS will win because of the fanboys?  no, they will buy what attracts their attention and wows them.  whatever that is, is the new term for video game



irstupid said:
zgamer5 said:
irstupid said:
pizzahut451 said:
UnknownFact said:

3DS will win because of the huge DS established fandom.

But gap will not be as big as DS/PSP.

Sony will have to come up with a surprise like Microsoft did with X360 to be able to actually win this.


What fandom? 12 year old girls and soccer moms?? Im sorry, but huge part of DS's userbase isnt all nintendo fans, but casual players who simply buy everything that is ''new'' and fancy. Thats why they all jumped to Wii insted of PS3.If established fandom determens the winner, than PS3 should have easly been the best selling console, because of PS2's userbase. Im betting that, to most of them, 3DS is just another upgraded model of normal DS. DS, DSLite, DSi, DSXL, 3DS, you cant really know that the last one is ''next gen'' if you dont check gaming web sites, and most of DS users dont.

gaming websites mean jack shit in the sales department.  Look not further than say okami or zak and wiki for that.

What is going to sell the NGP or the 3DS will be hands on.  People being SHOWN the system by friends/family or by a clerk at a store or the system sitting there (whatever they call a console kiosk basically)

Advertising on TV will obviously help as well, but with the prices of these two items (no word yet on NGP of course) people will be hesitent still going into store before they purchase and be more likely to try as i said the kiosk above and see wahts so special before speding $250 on one or the other.

Which then it boils down to seeing pretty graphics on the NGP or somehow 3D graphics on the 3DS.  Just thinking i can't imagine how the later will not impress them more than the former.  Now on to extra features of GPS, 3G, back touch, street tag, only one friend code, ect on to all the other gajillion features between teh two.  Obviously we on the forums can see that the NGP wins in this department.  BUT the consumer can't see all these and/or would be confused being told about all these int eh store.  They are going to rely on just the ONE thing.  Amazing graphics vs. 3D without glasses.  I see the later being as was said towards Wii, a bigger fad.

you do know that hes talking about fandom. not god damn sales.

good overreaction.

next time please attention and dont start a rant talking about sales, we all know 3ds is going to destroy(except gilgamesh) and the person above was pointing out that fans from the previous gen dont guarantee you 1st place.

i was saying fandom means jack shit.  only online is there such a thing as fandom

the average consumer dont' go in and go "OMG i need the new sony or nintendo"  while yes there is brand recognition, which leads to a lot of consumers buying the wrong gift for their child or refer to say video games as a playstation or a nintendo.

BUT as I was saying if they are going to be getting say their kid or even heck themselves somethign new, they will be shown both most likely unless set on one while entering and then it will come down to the few seconds on the system going wow fancy graphics, or wow 3D.  ignore the rest of the features, telling them it all will just confuse them and turn them off a purchase probably even.

you guys over-estimate fandom.  before the playstation 1, vidoe games were called nintendo.  then before wii, people would refer to vidoe games as playstations.  they aren't die hard fans of said system by saying that, that is just how they thought they were called.  there idiots.  now video games are back to being nintendo's by the general consumer.  does this mean that 3DS will win because of the fanboys?  no, they will buy what attracts their attention and wows them.  whatever that is, is the new term for video game


bolded=uselss i get your point



Being in 3rd place never felt so good