Quantcast
Will 3rd parties put more effort into Wii 2011?

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will 3rd parties put more effort into Wii 2011?

Cobretti2 said:

wii is the prostate cancer of the 3rd party developer. They want to radiate it to death.


More likely they are trying to ignore it to death, the same way as the N64 and Cube, which did work then.  They're complaining so much now because they tried to ignore the Wii while Nintendo is taking large chunks of the market; Nintendo is impossible to ignore.



Veder Juda is hand crafted from EPIC FAIL, and is a 96% certified Looney; the other 4% is a work in progress.

Around the Network
Jexy said:

No, I don't think so.  The people who make games, the top tier games, create works of art in their minds (and many fans).  It is insulting to many of them to dumb their product down just to be able to sell on the Wii which can't handle everything they want to show.  Maybe next generation if they can create a product capable of handling what the HD consoles are capable of now.  And hopefully they aren't too behind the next gen of Microsoft and Sony when that happens.


Meh, I'll bite.

Exactly what artistic merit does the current generation have that hasn't already been there for years?



Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Short answer: No

 

Long Answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

 

On a more serious note (though the above was also serious, kind of): The Wii will continue getting some support from the usual suspects (Capcom, Activision, Ubisoft), some crap-quality support from the usual suspects (EA and some others), but that's it.

Regarding sales of Epic Mickey and Goldeneye paving the way for further support:

1. From the moment someone decides on developing a new game, I think it takes at aleast 2 years before it's done if the game is to be of reasonable quality. So 2011 is a goner as far as any effect from recent 3rd party sales.

2. Regardless of which numbers you actually believe, NPD or VGC, I would wait for NPD numbers for these games before making such declarations, since those will more probably be the numbers the media will quote and so most developers would look at... (again, regardless of which numbers will actually be the correct ones)



Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Don't think so. I'm afraid even big titles like "The Last Story" and "Dragon Quest X" will underperform, similar to "Monster Hunter 3". MH3's sales probably were quite a shocker to the industry. 

The second reason is that 3rd parties are probably expecting a Wii successor within a year, so there's no more time left to start any big projects that aren't already far in development. 

3rd parties lack the IPs and gameplay quality of Nintendo, so they are dependent on eye candy, and on the Wii there's no way to visually impress buyers like on the HD consoles. 

My 2 cents.



bmmb1 said:

Short answer: No

 

Long Answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

 

On a more serious note (though the above was also serious, kind of): The Wii will continue getting some support from the usual suspects (Capcom, Activision, Ubisoft), some crap-quality support from the usual suspects (EA and some others), but that's it.

Regarding sales of Epic Mickey and Goldeneye paving the way for further support:

1. From the moment someone decides on developing a new game, I think it takes at aleast 2 years before it's done if the game is to be of reasonable quality. So 2011 is a goner as far as any effect from recent 3rd party sales.

2. Regardless of which numbers you actually believe, NPD or VGC, I would wait for NPD numbers for these games before making such declarations, since those will more probably be the numbers the media will quote and so most developers would look at... (again, regardless of which numbers will actually be the correct ones)

This reminds me of Monster Hunter 3, a game that might have convinced Capcom that they should be putting more AAA content on the Wii, and since that game came out in 2009, there's a chance Capcom might have something on the tail end of the year for the Wii; of course, they haven't announced any such game yet.  Also, that might make it a late-2011 release in Japan, while the rest of the world gets it in 2012.



Veder Juda is hand crafted from EPIC FAIL, and is a 96% certified Looney; the other 4% is a work in progress.

Around the Network
OneTwoThree said:

3rd parties lack the IPs and gameplay quality of Nintendo, so they are dependent on eye candy, and on the Wii there's no way to visually impress buyers like on the HD consoles. 

Precicely; 3rd parties make games that heavily rely on graphics and cinematics. It's like putting Avatar on VHS. Nintendo is partially to blame for the lack of 3rd party games on Wii; they simply went too far with its hardware.



OneTwoThree said:

Don't think so. I'm afraid even big titles like "The Last Story" and "Dragon Quest X" will underperform, similar to "Monster Hunter 3". MH3's sales probably were quite a shocker to the industry. 

The second reason is that 3rd parties are probably expecting a Wii successor within a year, so there's no more time left to start any big projects that aren't already far in development. 

3rd parties lack the IPs and gameplay quality of Nintendo, so they are dependent on eye candy, and on the Wii there's no way to visually impress buyers like on the HD consoles. 

My 2 cents.

I'm fairly certain its the best-selling out of the non-portable monster hunters, and likely the top-seller in the west overall



Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

OneTwoThree said:

Don't think so. I'm afraid even big titles like "The Last Story" and "Dragon Quest X" will underperform, similar to "Monster Hunter 3". MH3's sales probably were quite a shocker to the industry. 

The second reason is that 3rd parties are probably expecting a Wii successor within a year, so there's no more time left to start any big projects that aren't already far in development. 

3rd parties lack the IPs and gameplay quality of Nintendo, so they are dependent on eye candy, and on the Wii there's no way to visually impress buyers like on the HD consoles. 

My 2 cents.

"MH3's sales probably were quite a shocker to the industry" (?) We're obviously not living in the same universe... Maybe someone else will have the force to explain to you why you are way off, but I don't right now.



Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

In order to make a succesful game on the wii the main focus most be how the user has fun with the structure of the game, then it should be the content with more than enough for the user to engage on it, then a high replay value and most of all to keep the social element of gaming on it intact.

It has to be more a game than an interactive movie.

The games that sell well on the Wii are those that keep the basic fundamental of videogames alive: customer experience first and foremost than anything else. The developer vision comes last.

So the answer to your post is NO. They lack the skills for it and they don't have the intentions to look for it. They never did and they never will. And everybody who thinks that a new console by Nintendo will fix that is delusional. 3d parties are pathetic artsy filmmakers and make games for Nintendo means be more mainstream than niche.



-PaNdOrA- said:

I hope so.

Maybe devs will start making more PSWii titles now that Move is out?

I could see EA releasing a multiplat boom blox....but I'm sure EA could find a way to screw it up on the wii.