Quantcast
What if we all started shooting down those Russian bombers?

Forums - General Discussion - What if we all started shooting down those Russian bombers?

I was in another thread today and mentioned how Russian bombers entered Canadian airspace, and how we scramble CF-18's to escort them out into international air space. But after doing so I thought well so far this year I have heard about Russian bombers violating Japanese air space, British Air space, Taiwanes air space.

This got me thinking. Why do we keep escorting them politely out of our air spaces. Why don't we at least fire a couple rounds over their noses and send them home with their tales between their legs. Or better yet why don't we confiscate these planes. I mean have a few CF-18's escort them safely to Ottawa or Toronto International Air Ports. Arrest the pilots on charges of espionage and seize the planes.

Or more provacative but totally justifiable just shoot the planes out of the sky. I mean Russia half the time denies sending them altogether. if Russia denies they are their why bother escorting them out, just drop those things. It would send a clear message to Russia, don't fuck with us or we'll shoot you down.

I mean seriously Putin commented about the Cold War being restarted. So why should we all continue politely escorting bombers out of our air space. I can guarantee if Iranian Air craft flew over Canadian, British , Japanese , Taiwan air space we would at least arrest the pilots and seize the planes.

Why is everyone just letting Russia get away with violating our sovereign Air Space. I mean come on they planted flags on Canadian soil already and our Government just ignored it. Whats with all the sissy dealings with Russia's constant provocations?



-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

 

Around the Network

I don't really know anything about what has and hasn't been going on here, but even if Russia is trying to provoke a reaction, wouldn't it be pretty stupid to take the bait?

Not to mention how this would be handled with the UN.

Diplomacy is probably the far smarter way to go about it. That's what I think at least.



This is an international website, btw. So it's not 'we' against 'the russians'. 



OneTwoThree said:

This is an international website, btw. So it's not 'we' against 'the russians'. 


I meant we as in all the countries that are having their air space violated. Since this is an international site I'm sure alot of us live in these countries.

As for the United Nations. Russia may be a member of the UN Security Council. But the United Nations would not stand up and defend Russia if their bombers were shot down in violation of another countries Soveriegn air space. Once you cross the UN sanctioned borders into someone elses country you no longer have the support of the UN.

Also I'm sure the US and other UN countries would stand by the violated nations side. Russia themselves would be foolish to pursue any hostile actions against the violated country. The only result would be that Russia would think twice about flying bombers into other peoples countries.

Man I mean seriously Russian Air Force has violated Indian Air space, Canadian Air space, Japanese air space, Taiwanese air space and British Air Space. Am I missing anyone?

Recently I heard an analyst on TV say that Russia is testing Canadian Air Defences and response times of various countries. If that is the case and we are being tested why not take the provocations seriously. Now maybe shooting them down is alittle harsh instead maybe seizing the air craft and arresting the pilots is more sensable.

But doing nothing while Russia ignores international borders of our countries is irrational. Somebody should stand up to them.



-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

 

@Joelcool7

Relax keyboard commando and restrain your righteous anger, I bet you'll be last in line to deal with consequences if that happens =) BTW what will happen if we start shooting your bombers? As if this never happened before? Though as I see it, the most probable scenario in both cases - a bit of diplomatic turmoil, that's it.

Regardless of what someone told you, it's widely accepted practice, no need to be that emotional. I bet any air force will do the same if someone "exercised" near it's borders, especially if someone who have clear terriotorial claims involved. AFAIK the events take place in international waters , so everything was completely lawful.



Around the Network
mai said:

@Joelcool7

Regardless of what someone told you, it's widely accepted practice, no need to be that emotional. I bet any air force will do the same if someone "exercised" near it's borders, especially if someone who have clear terriotorial claims involved. AFAIK the events take place in international waters , so everything was completely lawful.


Well widely accepted? You don't hear about British Bombers, Canadian , Indian , Japanese or Taiwanese bombers violating Russian air space. Yes Russia does violate international airspaces on a regular basis and most countries accept this. But should they? I wonder what Russia would say if suddenly an American bomber crossed into Russian Air Space?

Yes Russia is trying to claim parts of Canadian territory as its own. So they might consider parts of our air space theirs. In the same sense that Russia claims Islands which are clearly Japanese. Or China claims Islands which are Japanese.

But while you can say that about Canada that excuse does not pertain to India, Japan, Taiwan and as far as I know Russia isn't laying claim to British territory. Their is no excuse for a Russian bomber to be in India, its nowhere near their border.

I bet Russia would seize an American bomber if it violated Russian Air Space. Other then Russia which other countries are accepted to violate international law by entering other countries air space? Don't mention US fighters over Pakistan because while Pakistan often publically condemns them their government has also requested assistance of the US air force. The only other countries I know that regularily violate other countries air space are Venezuela violating Columbian air space. US sometimes violates air space.

But why should we (Any country with air space violated) just accept that Russia or any other country can enter our air space and do what ever they want?



-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

 

You really need to calm down. First of all, these are human pilots that you're suggesting we shoot down.

Secondly, consider what would happen if one of Russian bombers were to be shot down. As you can imagine Russia would not be happy. If they decided to invade us there's nothing we'd be able to do to stop them. Sure, bring out NATO, but they'll find a way not to get involved. Maybe they'll say we drew the first punch with shooting the planes... Most of NATO is Europe, and guess who's keeping Europe warm in the cold of the winter? Guess what would happen if Russia were to suddenly stop supplying oil and gas to them, especially now? You get the picture. US may back us up, but that would only make it worse. An armed conflict between Russia and US equals WW3 equals nuclear apocalypse.

So take it easy man. Maybe give that Call of Duty a rest.



           

Russia wants to see what the countries reaction are.

If they are escorted back to their own air space time and again peacefully the Russians will give up and stop bothering X country.



"To play or not to play, that is the question."- A wise man

 

Lifetime sales prediction

Wii 79/150 million

Xbox 360 47.7/73 Million

PS3 43.6/69 Million

ultima said:

You really need to calm down. First of all, these are human pilots that you're suggesting we shoot down.

Secondly, consider what would happen if one of Russian bombers were to be shot down. As you can imagine Russia would not be happy. If they decided to invade us there's nothing we'd be able to do to stop them. Sure, bring out NATO, but they'll find a way not to get involved. Maybe they'll say we drew the first punch with shooting the planes... Most of NATO is Europe, and guess who's keeping Europe warm in the cold of the winter? Guess what would happen if Russia were to suddenly stop supplying oil and gas to them, especially now? You get the picture. US may back us up, but that would only make it worse. An armed conflict between Russia and US equals WW3 equals nuclear apocalypse.

So take it easy man. Maybe give that Call of Duty a rest.


Actually the US would have to back Canada up, we are heavily dependent on Canada for key natural resources needed for modern farming.

Anyhow Russia is saber rattling to try and take it's population's mind off the fact that their economy isn't booming due to the international recession, the US and Europe know this and would much rather deal with their other bigger problems.



flagship said:
ultima said:

You really need to calm down. First of all, these are human pilots that you're suggesting we shoot down.

Secondly, consider what would happen if one of Russian bombers were to be shot down. As you can imagine Russia would not be happy. If they decided to invade us there's nothing we'd be able to do to stop them. Sure, bring out NATO, but they'll find a way not to get involved. Maybe they'll say we drew the first punch with shooting the planes... Most of NATO is Europe, and guess who's keeping Europe warm in the cold of the winter? Guess what would happen if Russia were to suddenly stop supplying oil and gas to them, especially now? You get the picture. US may back us up, but that would only make it worse. An armed conflict between Russia and US equals WW3 equals nuclear apocalypse.

So take it easy man. Maybe give that Call of Duty a rest.


Actually the US would have to back Canada up, we are heavily dependent on Canada for key natural resources needed for modern farming.

Anyhow Russia is saber rattling to try and take it's population's mind off the fact that their economy isn't booming due to the international recession, the US and Europe know this and would much rather deal with their other bigger problems.

Last time I checked, Russian economy was growing... But, honestly, the reason's irrelevant, unless they're getting ready to drop a firecracker, shooting the bombers is a very bad idea.

Anyway, it's good to hear an American actually admit they depend on us!