Quantcast
Alan Wake Ending - MASSIVE Spoilers.

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Alan Wake Ending - MASSIVE Spoilers.

Solid_Raiden said:
I loved putting thought into games like Silent Hill and uncovering the truth, and the secret meanings behind everything. I can't say the same for Alan Wake. There isn't much thought to put into anything that has a major impact on how I see the story. The only things that are thought invoking are minor things that don't really impact the narrative but how you percieve smaller events in the narrative. So to me all this digging for answers is pretty useless. I still have the same opinion of the narrative as I had when I beaten the game.

The story felt lifted straight out of a few other sources. None of which I liked. It felt like any of the bad Stephen King novels, lost, and alone in the dark mixed together. The combat was also mediocre and beyond repetitive. Still, I walked away from the experiance pleased. It was nowhere near the best game of it's genre and despite the sea of problems I still left the experiance pleased somehow. That to me was the real mystery.


The combat and controls is quite possibly the best ever seen in a horror game. Name me another game like this that has better combat.

The problem is that it lacks variety.



Around the Network

I feel this game was left unfinished purposely for the sake of DLC. I love some DLC don't get me wrong but when i feel a game is left unfinished for DLC that pisses me off. I liked the game very much. I wish there were some real boss battles if The darkness can manipulate pretty much anything it seems but instead it gave us a million axe throwers. But I liked the game just pissed because i feel they left it unfinished for the sake of DLC.



disolitude said:
Solid_Raiden said:
I loved putting thought into games like Silent Hill and uncovering the truth, and the secret meanings behind everything. I can't say the same for Alan Wake. There isn't much thought to put into anything that has a major impact on how I see the story. The only things that are thought invoking are minor things that don't really impact the narrative but how you percieve smaller events in the narrative. So to me all this digging for answers is pretty useless. I still have the same opinion of the narrative as I had when I beaten the game.

The story felt lifted straight out of a few other sources. None of which I liked. It felt like any of the bad Stephen King novels, lost, and alone in the dark mixed together. The combat was also mediocre and beyond repetitive. Still, I walked away from the experiance pleased. It was nowhere near the best game of it's genre and despite the sea of problems I still left the experiance pleased somehow. That to me was the real mystery.


The combat and controls is quite possibly the best ever seen in a horror game. Name me another game like this that has better combat.

The problem is that it lacks variety.


Sure, shooting felt good and intuitive enough. But this game had perhaps the worst dodging mechanic in any game I've ever played. And even worse, it wouldn't let me change the controls to anything  auqward. Seeing as how jumping was a rare movement I wanted to switch dodge to a + LS but it wouldn't give me the option. There was only one other control scheme and it was even worse. As far as controls in a horror game I would even take the controls from RE4/5, Dead Space (probably the best for this genre right now and was also scarier as in being scary at all) or even the latest Silent Hill. I know they aren't TPS but Condmned had better controls and so did Bioshock if you count it. Of course I would take the shooting in this game over any of those but the importance of the dodge mechanic and the lack of an intuitive way to perform it kind of killed it for me.




PS3 Trophies

 

 

Nizut76 said:
I feel this game was left unfinished purposely for the sake of DLC. I love some DLC don't get me wrong but when i feel a game is left unfinished for DLC that pisses me off. I liked the game very much. I wish there were some real boss battles if The darkness can manipulate pretty much anything it seems but instead it gave us a million axe throwers. But I liked the game just pissed because i feel they left it unfinished for the sake of DLC.


I dont think that is true at all...

The story concluded perfectly well.

The chance for DLC or alan wake 2, 3 comes from how this story finishes and the circumstance he finds himself in.

 

I'm just watching the bonus disc from the CE...

"we didnt want to do DLC just because everyone else does it... we wanted to make it something that gives extra insight and provides a bridge to what will be Alan wake 2"



I'm not really here!

Link: Shipment History Since 1995


Solid_Raiden said:
disolitude said:
Solid_Raiden said:
I loved putting thought into games like Silent Hill and uncovering the truth, and the secret meanings behind everything. I can't say the same for Alan Wake. There isn't much thought to put into anything that has a major impact on how I see the story. The only things that are thought invoking are minor things that don't really impact the narrative but how you percieve smaller events in the narrative. So to me all this digging for answers is pretty useless. I still have the same opinion of the narrative as I had when I beaten the game.

The story felt lifted straight out of a few other sources. None of which I liked. It felt like any of the bad Stephen King novels, lost, and alone in the dark mixed together. The combat was also mediocre and beyond repetitive. Still, I walked away from the experiance pleased. It was nowhere near the best game of it's genre and despite the sea of problems I still left the experiance pleased somehow. That to me was the real mystery.


The combat and controls is quite possibly the best ever seen in a horror game. Name me another game like this that has better combat.

The problem is that it lacks variety.


Sure, shooting felt good and intuitive enough. But this game had perhaps the worst dodging mechanic in any game I've ever played. And even worse, it wouldn't let me change the controls to anything  auqward. Seeing as how jumping was a rare movement I wanted to switch dodge to a + LS but it wouldn't give me the option. There was only one other control scheme and it was even worse. As far as controls in a horror game I would even take the controls from RE4/5, Dead Space (probably the best for this genre right now and was also scarier as in being scary at all) or even the latest Silent Hill. I know they aren't TPS but Condmned had better controls and so did Bioshock if you count it. Of course I would take the shooting in this game over any of those but the importance of the dodge mechanic and the lack of an intuitive way to perform it kind of killed it for me.

Fair enough.

However I thought that for the sake of being a "horror" game the controls were absolutely sublime. Its not meant to be a shooter with dodge and cover. The fact it had dodge is a bonus which could have ruined the experience... RE5 didn't even have proper dodge.

Also, RE4/5 controls over this? Really? Stand to aim and shoot?

PS - I didn't find dead space scary at all. Didn't care for characters or the "BOO!" like scares much. With that said, alan wake wasn't scary either.



Around the Network
disolitude said:
Solid_Raiden said:
disolitude said:
Solid_Raiden said:
I loved putting thought into games like Silent Hill and uncovering the truth, and the secret meanings behind everything. I can't say the same for Alan Wake. There isn't much thought to put into anything that has a major impact on how I see the story. The only things that are thought invoking are minor things that don't really impact the narrative but how you percieve smaller events in the narrative. So to me all this digging for answers is pretty useless. I still have the same opinion of the narrative as I had when I beaten the game.

The story felt lifted straight out of a few other sources. None of which I liked. It felt like any of the bad Stephen King novels, lost, and alone in the dark mixed together. The combat was also mediocre and beyond repetitive. Still, I walked away from the experiance pleased. It was nowhere near the best game of it's genre and despite the sea of problems I still left the experiance pleased somehow. That to me was the real mystery.


The combat and controls is quite possibly the best ever seen in a horror game. Name me another game like this that has better combat.

The problem is that it lacks variety.


Sure, shooting felt good and intuitive enough. But this game had perhaps the worst dodging mechanic in any game I've ever played. And even worse, it wouldn't let me change the controls to anything  auqward. Seeing as how jumping was a rare movement I wanted to switch dodge to a + LS but it wouldn't give me the option. There was only one other control scheme and it was even worse. As far as controls in a horror game I would even take the controls from RE4/5, Dead Space (probably the best for this genre right now and was also scarier as in being scary at all) or even the latest Silent Hill. I know they aren't TPS but Condmned had better controls and so did Bioshock if you count it. Of course I would take the shooting in this game over any of those but the importance of the dodge mechanic and the lack of an intuitive way to perform it kind of killed it for me.

Fair enough.

However I thought that for the sake of being a "horror" game the controls were absolutely sublime. Its not meant to be a shooter with dodge and cover. The fact it had dodge is a bonus which could have ruined the experience... RE5 didn't even have proper dodge.

Also, RE4/5 controls over this? Really? Stand to aim and shoot?

PS - I didn't find dead space scary at all. Didn't care for characters or the "BOO!" like scares much. With that said, alan wake wasn't scary either.

RE5 controls over this... do me a favour.

and I dont think AW is supposed to be that scary... its more a thriller rather than an out and out horror story.



I'm not really here!

Link: Shipment History Since 1995


disolitude said:
Solid_Raiden said:
disolitude said:
Solid_Raiden said:
I loved putting thought into games like Silent Hill and uncovering the truth, and the secret meanings behind everything. I can't say the same for Alan Wake. There isn't much thought to put into anything that has a major impact on how I see the story. The only things that are thought invoking are minor things that don't really impact the narrative but how you percieve smaller events in the narrative. So to me all this digging for answers is pretty useless. I still have the same opinion of the narrative as I had when I beaten the game.

The story felt lifted straight out of a few other sources. None of which I liked. It felt like any of the bad Stephen King novels, lost, and alone in the dark mixed together. The combat was also mediocre and beyond repetitive. Still, I walked away from the experiance pleased. It was nowhere near the best game of it's genre and despite the sea of problems I still left the experiance pleased somehow. That to me was the real mystery.


The combat and controls is quite possibly the best ever seen in a horror game. Name me another game like this that has better combat.

The problem is that it lacks variety.


Sure, shooting felt good and intuitive enough. But this game had perhaps the worst dodging mechanic in any game I've ever played. And even worse, it wouldn't let me change the controls to anything  auqward. Seeing as how jumping was a rare movement I wanted to switch dodge to a + LS but it wouldn't give me the option. There was only one other control scheme and it was even worse. As far as controls in a horror game I would even take the controls from RE4/5, Dead Space (probably the best for this genre right now and was also scarier as in being scary at all) or even the latest Silent Hill. I know they aren't TPS but Condmned had better controls and so did Bioshock if you count it. Of course I would take the shooting in this game over any of those but the importance of the dodge mechanic and the lack of an intuitive way to perform it kind of killed it for me.

Fair enough.

However I thought that for the sake of being a "horror" game the controls were absolutely sublime. Its not meant to be a shooter with dodge and cover. The fact it had dodge is a bonus which could have ruined the experience... RE5 didn't even have proper dodge.

Also, RE4/5 controls over this? Really? Stand to aim and shoot?

PS - I didn't find dead space scary at all. Didn't care for characters or the "BOO!" like scares much. With that said, alan wake wasn't scary either.

The reason I say RE4/5 is because your enemies were slow and you didnt need to have a dodge. Dodging is absolutely vital to alan wake. Exspecially when playing on the harder difficulty settings. So I found a key feature of the gameplay absolutely broken whereas in RE4/5 I found a key gameplay feature (moving while shooting) only a minor frustration.

Also, I haven't found a game scary since i played SH2 or 3 when they first released. But Dead Space had the much creepier atmoshphere to me. Dead space didn't scare me but it certainly felt like it was scarier by a large marigin and at least made me jump at the unexpected last sequence.

Still, all these complaints I've been throwing at Alan Wake mean little. I still loved it for some reason. lol




PS3 Trophies

 

 

Finished this game today and the ending really captivated me. The thing I love about Alan Wake is that the story is so much different than 99% of the games on the market today. It is so vast and complex that the more you look into it and try to understand it, the more questions are raised.

I really appreciate that kind of plot intricacy in a game.



I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

The story was great as well as the gameplay albeit it was somewhat repetitive.



I am glad this thread exists.  It give me a chance to chime in with my theories here.  I feel it appropriate for myself to write this, because I believe I have written other threads that will be taken as myself being an Alan Wake hater.  Well, it had been critical to some degree, more of the hyping being done than anything else.  Anyhow, this being said, I need to add here that I don't have the game, nor did I play it, BUT I will say this semi-confusing statement that if the game and world is as I think it is, it is EXCELLENT writing that makes the game a psychological thriller and one I will need to get sometime and own and play through.  My story with the game starts last night where I stumble across the product placement and then wanted to learn more about the context there, which then led me to the ending... which I watch on YouTube.  I then read all the theories, and ended up developing my own.  So, here is my take on this:

For me, the key to understanding all this is the line "but an ocean".  This is in reference to the lake, and was written by Alan Wake.  So, as I see it, Alan Wake has just turned the lake into an ocean by writing it.  He let the Dark Presense have its way.  One has to wonder why one tries to contain the darkness.  But, what came out from it was that he needs to take the journey into darkness, so that the darkness grows, and he has to then battle it with light, so that good comes about.  He writes that he knows the equation must be balanced, which meant that there are sacrifices involved.  This is said of maybe evil making a bargain, but then he realizes the inverse.  By letting the darkness grown, the battle gets waged, and you shine a light on it, and good comes about.

The lake is supposed to be a source of great magic, and make what the artist creates reality.  This art of creation can be used for good or evil.  What I see the evil presense is, is that part of man which is the darkness.  It is the evil parts that drive men to do bad things, and it is also the unknown and disasters that men thing on.  It is actually what exists in the unknown.  Alan narrates how there is an equation and a price that must be balanced, like it is a law.  When he realizes this, the way he is able to see the ending that happens in Bright Falls is to give himself over to the darkness, and then allow the light to shine.  Don't fear the process of being a creator, but battle the darkness, for that is what all great stories do have.  You go deeper into the darkness and shine a light on it.  You don't attempt to bury it, but let it run its course.

And all this, to me, is excellent, and lends to why I need to get this game.  This IS a psychological thriller, and not just some horror movie.  It is about the mind and nature of man, and that explaination really hints at great storytelling.  Anyhow, maybe I am off, but that seems to make a lot of sense to me.  Please feel free to correct anything I say, as I have not played the game yet, but did read up on the plot of the game, and the characters, and the explainations and I did see the game.