Quantcast
PSN to become Like Xbox live - Paid Subscription

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSN to become Like Xbox live - Paid Subscription

This may be old-ish new but, still interesting,

 

Sony is going to offer a paid, premium PlayStation Network subscription service in 2010, announced the publisher at an investor conference.

This is a big deal because Sony’s online service with the PlayStation 3 has always remained free (with paid content coming in the form of certain DLC for specific games or for video rentals/purchases) and is thus one of the system’s biggest selling points when compared to the Xbox 360. Whose online service costs $50 a year for a Gold membership that allows you to play games with others online and access other features.

The reason for this shift is Sony’s determination to make its videogames business profitable by next year. And they have realized how much money they COULD be getting that they aren’t currently.

 

Thoughts? Are you guys gonna be paying or not?







Around the Network

Probably for bonus stuff. They aren't going to start charging for something thats been free because they would take a huge PR hit and customers.



Every time this rumour comes up it's false. If they do ever do that I'm selling my PS3 and tell everyone I know never to buy one.



"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

It all depends on what you get.



burgerstein said:
Every time this rumour comes up it's false. If they do ever do that I'm selling my PS3 and tell everyone I know never to buy one.

it will be optional, if it ever come to pass, so there is no need to worry



it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network
burgerstein said:
Every time this rumour comes up it's false. If they do ever do that I'm selling my PS3 and tell everyone I know never to buy one.

LoL... It's going to happen this year. 

PS3 is selling at a loss, they need to make back the money from somewhere

you'll be able to do basic stuff on psn without paying so it will essentially be psn's version on XBL





i think what we have no will always be free, extras will have to be paid for, and i would pay for it yes



Any PS3 fan who thought that Sony could operate PSN for free was dreaming. Sony were dreaming. Just way to many wages to pay to the hundreds of people daily involved in PSN or Xbox Live. PS3 sells at a loss, so no money made from there, means they constantly bleed money. For a service like PSN to remain around for another 4-5 years they have to have a paid subscription. M$ are ok, because they told there customersthis from day 1. Sony know they have to introduce it, they are gonna make it as painless as possible. But then $50 a year is peanuts guys. So it's no big deal.



selnor said:
Any PS3 fan who thought that Sony could operate PSN for free was dreaming. Sony were dreaming. Just way to many wages to pay to the hundreds of people daily involved in PSN or Xbox Live. PS3 sells at a loss, so no money made from there, means they constantly bleed money. For a service like PSN to remain around for another 4-5 years they have to have a paid subscription. M$ are ok, because they told there customersthis from day 1. Sony know they have to introduce it, they are gonna make it as painless as possible. But then $50 a year is peanuts guys. So it's no big deal.


It all depends on exactly what it is and how they introduce it. It does'nt matter to me if it's exactly like the 360 model are not. I have a 360 and yes $50 a year is peanuts. I think there going to do something different though.



oldschoolfool said:
selnor said:
Any PS3 fan who thought that Sony could operate PSN for free was dreaming. Sony were dreaming. Just way to many wages to pay to the hundreds of people daily involved in PSN or Xbox Live. PS3 sells at a loss, so no money made from there, means they constantly bleed money. For a service like PSN to remain around for another 4-5 years they have to have a paid subscription. M$ are ok, because they told there customersthis from day 1. Sony know they have to introduce it, they are gonna make it as painless as possible. But then $50 a year is peanuts guys. So it's no big deal.


It all depends on exactly what it is and how they introduce it. It does'nt matter to me if it's exactly like the 360 model are not. I have a 360 and yes $50 a year is peanuts. I think there going to do something different though.


Yeah Sony fans shouldnt worry, or get on Sony's back. They want Sony to suceed. Sony need to make some money from PSN. Like you agree, $50 a year is nothing, and the fact that people complain about that very very small amount is bad show imo. If Live was free and then got some subscription, for around $50 I would not complain. Things are never free. Dont get on Sony's back guys. They are a business. They have to operate profitably.