Quantcast
HD Penetration.

Forums - General Discussion - HD Penetration.

Uhm... in North America HDTV penetration was 18% at the end of last year, am I gonna have to dig up that article? :( HDTV's are gonna have to drop to about half their current price to get the kind of penetration numbers that you guys are hoping for, and even then most of us will still wait until our current TV's die before tv shopping again.



Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

vanguardian1 said: Uhm... in North America HDTV penetration was 18% at the end of last year, am I gonna have to dig up that article? :( HDTV's are gonna have to drop to about half their current price to get the kind of penetration numbers that you guys are hoping for, and even then most of us will still wait until our current TV's die before tv shopping again.
I am talking about HDTV household. Every person dosent have a TV. It's based on household. And it's a proven fact, there are around 35million HDTVs in america. 10% are re-buys. so that leaves 32.5million households with HDTV. (roughly) that is like 25.5% of households. ;)



PSN ID: Kwaad


I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: 2/3 are meant for HDTV. The other is not. Meaning the market for the non HDTV one is shrinking, and the HDTV ones are growing. It's not as simple as that.
It's definitely not as simple as that. Wiis will hook up to any HD TV. Once again, you're assuming that people will not accept SD on their HD TVs. I bet you more SD content is viewed on HD TVs than HD content. From most cable channels to the millions of normal DVDs, there's just more of it. Of course it causes 'low definition sickness', but it's still a fact of life.



Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

I agree more SDTV content is viewed on HDTVs than HDTV content. Becuase the content is not htere yet, but it will be in the near future. The console war is longer than the now.



PSN ID: Kwaad


I fly this flag in victory!

i bought my first hdtv because it was thin, not thinking about the hd capability or thinking it was for games. cuz as far as i know, ps2 didn't look good on it compared to my tube tv.



Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

 

 

 

 

Around the Network

Kwaad said: I agree more SDTV content is viewed on HDTVs than HDTV content. Becuase the content is not htere yet, but it will be in the near future. The console war is longer than the now.
i hate sdtv crap now. thank god for 1 years free HTDV channels that i got when i got my tv. but hdtv channels looks so so compared to BR movies.



Ok, I skipped a bunch of the thread if I re-post something sorry, I read some on Joystiq dated back to Aug, 2006 it said that 38% of Americans own a game system. and as far as the 2009 cutoff date thing, they will have 20 dollar antena's that convert the signal back to what it was for older tv's.



 

  

 

Alacrist said: Ok, I skipped a bunch of the thread if I re-post something sorry, I read some on Joystiq dated back to Aug, 2006 it said that 38% of Americans own a game system. and as far as the 2009 cutoff date thing, they will have 20 dollar antena's that convert the signal back to what it was for older tv's.
Everything is right except the Digital TV converter box. Your looking at around 100$ depending on the quality of it. (The HD ones are 200-400$)



PSN ID: Kwaad


I fly this flag in victory!

You do realise that the majority of HDTV's do NOT do 1080p... right? I have had what would be "classed" as a HDTV for about 4 years now. It does a lovely 480p/576p and a 1080i ;) No 720 modes, and definitely no 1080p. So I'm not sure what your stats prove - if anything. My Wii looks great on my TV (perfect size), and I can say that a 360 looks better (but not that much better). I'll be interested to know how many people on this board have a "FULL HD" capable set (although many of us are no doubt geeks, and not very representative of the population!). ... One thing - since I have a very capable TV, Im in NO rush to upgrade to anything else. And that means no (point to having a) BluRay or PS3 for me. My DVD player upsamples to 1080i happily, which is cool. I can also confirm that "Full HD" sets are still pretty rare here in Australia (head into any major electronics store, and only a couple of sets will be that - versus the common 720p solutions - in both Plasma & LCD).



Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
You do realise that the majority of HDTV's do NOT do 1080p... right? I have had what would be "classed" as a HDTV for about 4 years now. It does a lovely 480p/576p and a 1080i ;) No 720 modes, and definitely no 1080p. So I'm not sure what your stats prove - if anything. My Wii looks great on my TV (perfect size), and I can say that a 360 looks better (but not that much better). I'll be interested to know how many people on this board have a "FULL HD" capable set (although many of us are no doubt geeks, and not very representative of the population!). ... One thing - since I have a very capable TV, Im in NO rush to upgrade to anything else. And that means no (point to having a) BluRay or PS3 for me. My DVD player upsamples to 1080i happily, which is cool. I can also confirm that "Full HD" sets are still pretty rare here in Australia (head into any major electronics store, and only a couple of sets will be that - versus the common 720p solutions - in both Plasma & LCD).

 lots of bs right there.

 my tv is not 1080p yet Br totally wrecks dvd in picture quality.

 your 1080i plenty enouth.