With the Simpsons all up available to stream, I've reminisced about some of my favourite episodes from the legendary series.
These are in no particular order (except the first one or two, which are my favourites), and yes, they are heavily from the early seasons. Not that I think that none of the episodes from later seasons compare, it's that I didn't grow up with them and watch them 20+ times throughout my life.
1. Last Exit to Springfield (Season 4) - my favourite Simpsons Episode ever, and in my opinion one of the greatest animated episodes of anything in history:
2. The Last Temptation of Homer (Season 5)- here's where things start to get a little wishy-washy, I love this episode, but I can't say I like it better than the next 2 or 3. This is the best of the homewrecker episodes IMO, and has been traditionally my second favourite.
3. Bart of Darkness (Season 6) - This one is a Simpsonized remake of Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window:
4. Rosebud (Season 5) - and this one is based on Citizen Kane, and like Last Exit contains a large amount of the most well known Simpsons references:
5. Whacking Day (Season 4) - this one is filled with innuendo.
6. King-Size Homer (Season 7) - A guide to getting fat.
7. Deep Space Homer (Season 5) - Before there was Krieger
8. And Maggie Makes Three (Season 6) - Probably the most emotional moment of the Simpsons outside of maybe the Mother Simpson ending.
9. Lisa's Wedding (Season 6) - the first peak into the future of the Simpsons, and these episodes are always good right up to the present day.
10. Lisa's Substitute (Season 2) - IMO, the best of the family dysfunction episodes. This one really opens up the strife between Homer and Lisa, which is an ongoing theme.
I'd do an honourable mentions list, but that would have about 50-200 episodes. There are way more than 10 great episodes of the Simpsons, there are almost no episodes less than iconic between season 5, 6, and 7.
What are your favourites?
Here are Matt Groening's from the show's 10th Anniversary:
- "Bart the Daredevil"
- "Life on the Fast Lane"
- "Much Apu About Nothing"
- "A Streetcar Named Marge"
- "In Marge We Trust"
- "Homer's Enemy"
- "Treehouse of Horror VII"
- "Natural Born Kissers"
- "Krusty Gets Busted"
- "There's No Disgrace Like Home"
I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.