I would only defend piracy as a means to play video games that cannot be purchased and played anymore in any fashion.
Examples of Regular Bad Piracy:
1. Downloading Super Mario World on your SNES emulator on PC is still a form of piracy since you can still officially purchase a digital copy on the Wii U.
2. Downloading Final Fantasy VII onto your hacked Xbox 360 is still a form of piracy since the game can be purchased and played on Switch, Vita, PS3, PS4, XB1, and PC.
3. Downloading Pokemon Blue to your phone's emulator is still a form of piracy since you can still purchase a digital copy for your 3DS or 2DS from the eShop.
Examples of Acceptable, No-Choice Piracy:
1. Downloading an EBOOT of Legend of Legaia to your hacked PSP is acceptable since you can no longer find any official sources to purchase the game.
2. Downloading an ISO for Ergheiz: God Bless the Ring for ePSXe is acceptable since you can no longer purchase it from Square Enix in any fashion.
3. Downloading Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game to your hacked PS3 is acceptable since Ubisoft lost the rights and the game cannot be purchased anymore.
Check out my Twitch Channel!: