Hey, I'm going to write an article on LGBT+ characters in video games, and I need some help. Can you help me remember some of them?
1) What do you think are some good and bad examples of LGTB+ representation in video games?
2) How do you feel about the quantity of LGBT+ characters in video games? Do you think there should be more, less or do you think there's enough?
3) Do you think that, in general, LGBT+ characters are well represented in games?
4) Are you LGBT+? (feel free to not answer this question if you don't feel comfortable)
1) Butterfly Soup, Gone Home, and TLOU's Left Behind DLC are wonderful examples of coming-of-age games and DLC packages that narratively revolve around lesbian characters! Tracer from Overwatch is another lesbian character with what I'd consider an excellent character arc, but games could stand to represent adult lesbians more in general, I think, as I can't think of any that actually center adult lesbian characters. Although they're not really bad, I've found the lesbian character relationships in BioWare's titles to feel a little more half-hearted.
2) Out of a library of more than 1,600 games that I own, so far 2 revolve narratively around lesbian characters, and they're both relatively obscure indie titles. What do you think?
3) I don't see so many bad representations and total exclusions. The main issue in this connection for me is just that there aren't many such characters in video games at all. It would be great if lesbian characters could at least be measured as a percentage of the total. I think the general culture of the world prefers both male-centric stories and heterosexual relationships.
4) I'm probably the only lesbian here.