According to a job listing application. Nintendo is looking to hire software engineers with experience with existing engines, UE4 being the primary example. This isn't the first time we've heard about the Nintendo supporting Unreal Engine 4 for the NX either.
- BS or MS in related field (MS preferred)
- Excellent programming skills and knowledge of C
- Excellent software design, problem solving and debugging skills
- OpenGL or DirectX programming recommended
- Familiarity with existing game engines (such as UE4) is a plus
Job listing: https://nintendo.taleo.net/careersection/10000/jobdetail.ftl?job=160000004A&lang=en#.V3KuLnq4KWw.twitter