Vista is utter Crap. Windows 7 is pretty good. but it's not better than Windows XP, OSX or Linux.
Windows is just designed wrong, from the ground up, unless they start from scratch and use a "Virtual Machine" to run old apps I don't know how they can ever make windows "not suck".
All said and done, I'd use Windows 7 before I'd use Vista. Vista's memory usage is DOUBLE that of Windows 7, with no programs loaded (Vista about 1gb and Windows 7 about 512mb).
Please explain to me how XP is better than 7, seriously, when I go from 7 back to XP, I feel like I did going from XP back to Windows 95. It feels like a HUGE technological step backwards for me now.
Compared to XP, 7 has:
- Faster program launch
- Better utilization of multi-core processors
- Much superior built in multimedia functions
- Better DirectX performance
- MUCH more intuitive and faster search function built in, capable of federated searches of external web based services
- More intuitive navigation due to the application based (instead of window based) taskbar
- Easier multitasking by way of taskbar organization, Aero Peek, and multitouch capabilities (the first OS to have this)
- Better memory usage than Vista, comprable memory usage to XP
- Better out-of-the-box driver support than XP
- Simpler hardware & printer installation
- Simpler, more intuitive network setup
- Better, more customizeable organization of data via Libraries (virtual folders that can aggregate external sources)
- Better stability than XP or Vista
- Better security than XP, without UAC being as intrusive as on Vista
Just a quick list.