Quantcast
VGChartz Gap Charts December 2019 Discussion Thread

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts December 2019 Discussion Thread

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

If Nintendo are smart they'll push the Switch for years to come, but what worries me is Nintendo have a long history of being really, really stupid at times.

Yeah, I agree that Nintendo can be stupid.  The dumb thing I am more worried about is that the next console won't be a hybrid like the Switch.  It would be dumb not to simply have a Switch 2 replace the Switch when the proper time comes. 

But they have said that they plan to support the Switch for many years, and I believe them when they say this.

This should not be a concern because Nintendo combined their home and console software and hardware divisions when they built their new HQ a few years ago.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

If Nintendo are smart they'll push the Switch for years to come, but what worries me is Nintendo have a long history of being really, really stupid at times.

Yeah, I agree that Nintendo can be stupid.  The dumb thing I am more worried about is that the next console won't be a hybrid like the Switch.  It would be dumb not to simply have a Switch 2 replace the Switch when the proper time comes. 

But they have said that they plan to support the Switch for many years, and I believe them when they say this.

I guess time will tell.

I never thought I'd say this, as in recent years I've generally been bored by systems that are just more powerful versions of their predecessors, but in this case, yeah, I really hope Nintendo's next system is a regular Switch 2 rather than something like Wii U or 3DS that tries to be different in the wrong way.



You can read the complete article and analysis here:

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,324,863 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,046,464 – Switch

Total Lead: 76,633 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 49,808,000

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 49,731,367



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD

trunkswd said:

You can read the complete article and analysis here:

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,324,863 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,046,464 – Switch

Total Lead: 76,633 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 49,808,000

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 49,731,367

Nice, Switch breaks ahead, and with 3DS and Wii U being as front-loaded as they were, they'll be no going back now.



These charts really show, to me at least, that the switch is nintendo's leggiest console in a very long time. Even in the PS4 comparison, against a console with a long sales curve, the period where switch has caught up the most is in its third year. I know that in the twilight years switch likely will fall behind PS4 again, but its still amazing to watch a nintendo console hold up so well not just out the gate.

Also, it is interesting that the 3DS had sold half of its LTD number at this point in time. That basically infers that in the worst case scenario, switch will sell at least 100 million (double its current number), and that given how much less front-loaded it is, it has a pretty great chance at selling something like 115+ million.



Bet with flashfire926: I think switch will win November NPD, and he thinks xbox one will win (if ps4 is victorious, it's a draw). Loser has to state that they lost in the signature for some time.

You can read the complete article and analysis here:

PS4 vs Xbox One in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

PS4 Vs. XOne US:

Gap change in latest month: 26,962 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 864,715 – PS4

Total Lead: 4,593,568 – PS4

PS4 Total Sales: 32,080,344

Xbox One Total Sales: 27,486,776



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD

trunkswd said:

You can read the complete article and analysis here:

PS4 vs Xbox One in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

PS4 Vs. XOne US:

Gap change in latest month: 26,962 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 864,715 – PS4

Total Lead: 4,593,568 – PS4

PS4 Total Sales: 32,080,344

Xbox One Total Sales: 27,486,776

It'd be crazy if Xbox goes from being first place in the US in the 7th gen so being outsold there by both PS4 and Switch, which looks quite likely to eventually happen. Quite the tumble.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 January 2020

curl-6 said:

I'd be crazy if Xbox goes from being first place in the US in the 7th gen so being outsold there by both PS4 and Switch, which looks quite likely to eventually happen. Quite the tumble.

It is a bit of a fall, but I am not sure there has been a fall like there was with the Wii to the Wii U or PSP to PS Vita. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I'd be crazy if Xbox goes from being first place in the US in the 7th gen so being outsold there by both PS4 and Switch, which looks quite likely to eventually happen. Quite the tumble.

It is a bit of a fall, but I am not sure there has been a fall like there was with the Wii to the Wii U or PSP to PS Vita. 

In terms of percentage, pretty sure those two are unparalleled. In terms of raw numbers, PS3 fell by 70 million from PS2, which is more than PSP to Vita.



curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

It is a bit of a fall, but I am not sure there has been a fall like there was with the Wii to the Wii U or PSP to PS Vita. 

In terms of percentage, pretty sure those two are unparalleled. In terms of raw numbers, PS3 fell by 70 million from PS2, which is more than PSP to Vita.

Thinking about it, the DS to 3DS drop is probably the biggest when you look at the raw numbers. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD