Quantcast
January NPD 2019

Forums - Sales Discussion - January NPD 2019

Ps4 slowing down with grace before next gen. Xo diving of a clift. To be fair it only looks this bad cuz last year the xox bump was out the ordinary. Compared to the previous years its not as bad drop.



It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

US represents over 50% of XBO sales so globally it did less than 200k in January. That meane PS4 and Switch did more in the US than XBO did globally.

I suppose we shouldn't really be surprised. I mean, I hope this doesn't come off as trolling, but there's not really that much reason to buy an Xbox One at this point to be honest. You can play almost every game it has on PS4 and/or PC. It's just kind of an awkward, pointless third wheel in the current console space.

If Halo, Gears, unbundling Kinect, price cuts, a slim, and the X haven't reversed its fortunes, its really a lost cause.

I mean, no disrespect to those who own one and enjoy it, but its easy to see why its sales are weak.

But they DID reverse its fortune. I mean, taking into account how bad it was at the reveal, this could have a been really a Wii U situation. In fact, given the fact that the MS brand is nowhere near as recognized as Nintendo's worldwide, I would say that the OG X1 had everything to bomb even harder than the Wii U.

And yet, when everything is said and done, the X1 will have outsold 4 out 7 Nintendo's home consoles (not counting VB).  Again, given how strong is Nintendo's brand, can we really consider that as such a bad thing?



chakkra said:
curl-6 said:

I suppose we shouldn't really be surprised. I mean, I hope this doesn't come off as trolling, but there's not really that much reason to buy an Xbox One at this point to be honest. You can play almost every game it has on PS4 and/or PC. It's just kind of an awkward, pointless third wheel in the current console space.

If Halo, Gears, unbundling Kinect, price cuts, a slim, and the X haven't reversed its fortunes, its really a lost cause.

I mean, no disrespect to those who own one and enjoy it, but its easy to see why its sales are weak.

But they DID reverse its fortune. I mean, taking into account how bad it was at the reveal, this could have a been really a Wii U situation. In fact, given the fact that the MS brand is nowhere near as recognized as Nintendo's worldwide, I would say that the OG X1 had everything to bomb even harder than the Wii U.

And yet, when everything is said and done, the X1 will have outsold 4 out 7 Nintendo's home consoles (not counting VB).  Again, given how strong is Nintendo's brand, can we really consider that as such a bad thing?

Xbone still always had the full backing of all the big third parties, something Nintendo hasn't had since the SNES. The market has also grown massively since those days, back then you could sell 50 million and be market leader, now to do that you need over 100 million.

3 of the 4 Nintendo consoles you describe come from a time when the gaming population was vastly smaller than today, so outselling them in the current gen is not really an achievement.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 February 2019

curl-6 said:
chakkra said:

But they DID reverse its fortune. I mean, taking into account how bad it was at the reveal, this could have a been really a Wii U situation. In fact, given the fact that the MS brand is nowhere near as recognized as Nintendo's worldwide, I would say that the OG X1 had everything to bomb even harder than the Wii U.

And yet, when everything is said and done, the X1 will have outsold 4 out 7 Nintendo's home consoles (not counting VB).  Again, given how strong is Nintendo's brand, can we really consider that as such a bad thing?

Xbone still always had the full backing of all the big third parties, something Nintendo hasn't had since the SNES. The market has also grown massively since the 80s/90s, back then you could sell 50 million and be market leader, now to do that you need over 100 million.

3 of the 4 Nintendo consoles you describe come from a time when the gaming population was vastly smaller than today, so outselling them in the current gen is not really an achievement.

Wait, what??  You do know that those consoles were competing against the PS1 and PS2, right? 



I'm very positive about ps4 2018. I think February will be decent. Sony please give a permanent $50 price cut for days gone launch. It won't move much hardware at launch but coupled with a cut it could.



chakkra said:
curl-6 said:

Xbone still always had the full backing of all the big third parties, something Nintendo hasn't had since the SNES. The market has also grown massively since the 80s/90s, back then you could sell 50 million and be market leader, now to do that you need over 100 million.

3 of the 4 Nintendo consoles you describe come from a time when the gaming population was vastly smaller than today, so outselling them in the current gen is not really an achievement.

Wait, what??  You do know that those consoles were competing against the PS1 and PS2, right? 

 

First, the video game market, before the PS1, is basically concentrated in the US and Japan. Europe was a land of computers. ROTD is minimal. Clones NES everywhere, more than 40,000 clones around the world. Sony uses the great connections of the big company and sells the PS1 everywhere. The market, in terms of penetration, is down. In gross number, up. The PS1 and NES have similar numbers in Japan and the US. The difference in the US is because the population grew and did not grow in the market. The market only grows in the seventh generation.



chakkra said:
curl-6 said:

Xbone still always had the full backing of all the big third parties, something Nintendo hasn't had since the SNES. The market has also grown massively since the 80s/90s, back then you could sell 50 million and be market leader, now to do that you need over 100 million.

3 of the 4 Nintendo consoles you describe come from a time when the gaming population was vastly smaller than today, so outselling them in the current gen is not really an achievement.

Wait, what??  You do know that those consoles were competing against the PS1 and PS2, right? 

The SNES led the 4th gen with 49 million sales. Even in the era of PS1 and PS2 the market total was smaller than today. Outselling systems from back when the market was far smaller isn't an accomplishment, by today's standards selling 50 million or so is mediocre.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 February 2019

chakkra said:
curl-6 said:

I suppose we shouldn't really be surprised. I mean, I hope this doesn't come off as trolling, but there's not really that much reason to buy an Xbox One at this point to be honest. You can play almost every game it has on PS4 and/or PC. It's just kind of an awkward, pointless third wheel in the current console space.

If Halo, Gears, unbundling Kinect, price cuts, a slim, and the X haven't reversed its fortunes, its really a lost cause.

I mean, no disrespect to those who own one and enjoy it, but its easy to see why its sales are weak.

But they DID reverse its fortune. I mean, taking into account how bad it was at the reveal, this could have a been really a Wii U situation. In fact, given the fact that the MS brand is nowhere near as recognized as Nintendo's worldwide, I would say that the OG X1 had everything to bomb even harder than the Wii U.

And yet, when everything is said and done, the X1 will have outsold 4 out 7 Nintendo's home consoles (not counting VB).  Again, given how strong is Nintendo's brand, can we really consider that as such a bad thing?

I'm sorry but no the Xbox One was in no way looking to become a Wii U-like sales disaster....even with the horrible reveal.

Further, I only count 3 it has outsold.  N64, GC and Wii U.  Counting Switch is illogical.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

SpokenTruth said:
chakkra said:

But they DID reverse its fortune. I mean, taking into account how bad it was at the reveal, this could have a been really a Wii U situation. In fact, given the fact that the MS brand is nowhere near as recognized as Nintendo's worldwide, I would say that the OG X1 had everything to bomb even harder than the Wii U.

And yet, when everything is said and done, the X1 will have outsold 4 out 7 Nintendo's home consoles (not counting VB).  Again, given how strong is Nintendo's brand, can we really consider that as such a bad thing?

I'm sorry but no the Xbox One was in no way looking to become a Wii U-like sales disaster....even with the horrible reveal.

Further, I only count 3 it has outsold.  N64, GC and Wii U.  Counting Switch is illogical.

 

This comparison is illogical. The market is very different. The population grows, etc. The NES, SNES and N64 were very profitable, the Xbox One does not seem to.

When make this comparison the people forget, Nintendo have, at the same time, one portable 70M+ sales in the same era. Microsoft don't have any portable. Aways focus in stationary consoles only. And never won any generation and don't have much profits.

Last edited by Agente42 - on 19 February 2019

chakkra said:
curl-6 said:

Xbone still always had the full backing of all the big third parties, something Nintendo hasn't had since the SNES. The market has also grown massively since the 80s/90s, back then you could sell 50 million and be market leader, now to do that you need over 100 million.

3 of the 4 Nintendo consoles you describe come from a time when the gaming population was vastly smaller than today, so outselling them in the current gen is not really an achievement.

Wait, what??  You do know that those consoles were competing against the PS1 and PS2, right? 


NES+Master System+Atari 7800-~75 million

SNES+Genesis+Turbografx-~90 million

PS1+N64+Saturn-~145 million

PS2+XB+GC+DC-~210 million

Wii+PS3+360-~275 million

 

His point stands, selling ~50 million in the mid-late 2010s is not the same as selling that amount in the 80s or 90s. It represented a much larger marketshare back then.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.