Quantcast
HDR is mind blowing (Digital foundry best HDR games)

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HDR is mind blowing (Digital foundry best HDR games)

Which would you prefer if pushed.

HDR. 22 61.11%
 
Ray tracing. 7 19.44%
 
Neither/other in comments. 7 19.44%
 
Total:36
chakkra said:

HDR, 4K, Raytracing and 60fps..

Wonder how many of those options will devs be able to put together in a game for next gen..

Very few.



                                                                                                                                            

honestly I never saw hdr in action, nobody I know got a hdr tv. my last tv is 2 1/2 years old so it's way too early to buy a new one. I had to decide between lowend 4k 50hz tv or 1080p 100hz with decent specs for 420€, so I chose the 1080p one. threads like this makes me really curious, although there are still games and movies which suprises me with their colors, even without hdr.

hdr and 144hz monitors are both 2 things which I really want to try but I fear it's like opening pandoras box. for now I'm satisfied with my tv and 60 fps is top tier smooth for me. I fear I can't unsee it when I try 144fps.

hopefully I can keep my tv until there are freesync high hz tvs with a low price.



HDR is the god level upgrade for gaming on big TV's. Everyone with an OLED 4K are raving about it. I'm not due a new TV until 2021 but I'm excited. HDR is still being improved on the developer side but also the TV side. It's going to get even better.



Forget about 4K or HDR. A $2000 OLED screen puts everything else to shame. Normally when pixels are lit up, part of their light bleeds into the next pixel. This makes colors a bit off from real life, and faded. This is especially true for night scenes because a bright pixel that is part of a light, will bleed over into a black pixel that is part of the night sky. OLED gets rid of this so blacks look blacker, contrast is vastly improved, and everything looks more defined. Hopefully in about 4 or 5 years OLED TVs will drop in price to around $700 for a 55 inch model.



I have a 4k HDR TV and i cant tell differance. Am i doing something wrong? I have the Backlight turned up and stuff!! Also do i need HDT+ on or off? Its currently set to off.



Cerebralbore101 said:
Forget about 4K or HDR. A $2000 OLED screen puts everything else to shame. Normally when pixels are lit up, part of their light bleeds into the next pixel. This makes colors a bit off from real life, and faded. This is especially true for night scenes because a bright pixel that is part of a light, will bleed over into a black pixel that is part of the night sky. OLED gets rid of this so blacks look blacker, contrast is vastly improved, and everything looks more defined. Hopefully in about 4 or 5 years OLED TVs will drop in price to around $700 for a 55 inch model.

Speaking strictly TVs, yes, OLED screens are top of their class. An 8K IPS monitor (rare as they are) can still produce comparable results, though. OLED computer monitors are actually what I'm waiting for, as that will, literally, obliterate everything else. 



                                                                                                                                            

CGI-Quality said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Forget about 4K or HDR. A $2000 OLED screen puts everything else to shame. Normally when pixels are lit up, part of their light bleeds into the next pixel. This makes colors a bit off from real life, and faded. This is especially true for night scenes because a bright pixel that is part of a light, will bleed over into a black pixel that is part of the night sky. OLED gets rid of this so blacks look blacker, contrast is vastly improved, and everything looks more defined. Hopefully in about 4 or 5 years OLED TVs will drop in price to around $700 for a 55 inch model.

Speaking strictly TVs, yes, OLED screens are top of their class. An 8K IPS monitor (rare as they are) can still produce comparable results, though. OLED computer monitors are actually what I'm waiting for, as that will, literally, obliterate everything else. 

Yeah, but for the longest time a good 4K monitor at 32 inches would cost something like $700, (while a good 4K TV at 55 inches could be had for $300) it was only recently that a good 4K 32 inch monitor was priced at $300 to $400. So I imagine those 32 inch OLED monitors with good response time, and hertz will take forever to come down in price. 

But yeah, those will blow everything away. They'll make 1080p look like 480 or less. 



Cerebralbore101 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Speaking strictly TVs, yes, OLED screens are top of their class. An 8K IPS monitor (rare as they are) can still produce comparable results, though. OLED computer monitors are actually what I'm waiting for, as that will, literally, obliterate everything else. 

Yeah, but for the longest time a good 4K monitor at 32 inches would cost something like $700, (while a good 4K TV at 55 inches could be had for $300) it was only recently that a good 4K 32 inch monitor was priced at $300 to $400. So I imagine those 32 inch OLED monitors with good response time, and hertz will take forever to come down in price. 

But yeah, those will blow everything away. They'll make 1080p look like 480 or less. 

Anything OLED will take a long time to down in price. ;P

For me, that's why an IPS/HDR monitor (4 or 8K) makes for such a comparable alternative. Only an OLED display can top it.



                                                                                                                                            

CGI-Quality said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yeah, but for the longest time a good 4K monitor at 32 inches would cost something like $700, (while a good 4K TV at 55 inches could be had for $300) it was only recently that a good 4K 32 inch monitor was priced at $300 to $400. So I imagine those 32 inch OLED monitors with good response time, and hertz will take forever to come down in price. 

But yeah, those will blow everything away. They'll make 1080p look like 480 or less. 

Anything OLED will take a long time to down in price. ;P

For me, that's why an IPS/HDR monitor (4 or 8K) makes for such a comparable alternative. Only an OLED display can top it.

 Unfortunately OLED has burn in and image retention issues which make them unsuitable for pc monitors.



Cerebralbore101 said:
Forget about 4K or HDR. A $2000 OLED screen puts everything else to shame. Normally when pixels are lit up, part of their light bleeds into the next pixel. This makes colors a bit off from real life, and faded. This is especially true for night scenes because a bright pixel that is part of a light, will bleed over into a black pixel that is part of the night sky. OLED gets rid of this so blacks look blacker, contrast is vastly improved, and everything looks more defined. Hopefully in about 4 or 5 years OLED TVs will drop in price to around $700 for a 55 inch model.

Last years top end 55" 4k OLED sets are on sale now and can be got for around $1300. There is no doubt prices are coming down. Mass production is ramping up. A laptop screen was recently announced and LG sales forecasts expect a big increase in sales again this year. Next year they will switch manufacturing of the panels to high end sets and apparently that will reduce costs further. 

Nogamez said:

I have a 4k HDR TV and i cant tell differance. Am i doing something wrong? I have the Backlight turned up and stuff!! Also do i need HDT+ on or off? Its currently set to off.

Maybe your TV just isn't good. I have a 1080p 36" LG TV from 2008 that cost €800. I also have a 1080p 55" Sony bravia from 2014 that cost €1200. The 2008 set despite also being 1080p looks like absolute shit compared to the 2014 set. It's the same with 4k TV's. The cheapest 4k sets look like absolute shit compared to the higher end newer ones. 

CGI-Quality said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Forget about 4K or HDR. A $2000 OLED screen puts everything else to shame. Normally when pixels are lit up, part of their light bleeds into the next pixel. This makes colors a bit off from real life, and faded. This is especially true for night scenes because a bright pixel that is part of a light, will bleed over into a black pixel that is part of the night sky. OLED gets rid of this so blacks look blacker, contrast is vastly improved, and everything looks more defined. Hopefully in about 4 or 5 years OLED TVs will drop in price to around $700 for a 55 inch model.

Speaking strictly TVs, yes, OLED screens are top of their class. An 8K IPS monitor (rare as they are) can still produce comparable results, though. OLED computer monitors are actually what I'm waiting for, as that will, literally, obliterate everything else. 

There is a laptop coming out this year with a 27" OLED screen. Looks like they're getting close to mass market penetration. High emissions OLED's are coming next year and should be mass market in 2021. They'll look even better, cost less to produce and will reduce the risk of burn in. Good Times ahead. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Speaking strictly TVs, yes, OLED screens are top of their class. An 8K IPS monitor (rare as they are) can still produce comparable results, though. OLED computer monitors are actually what I'm waiting for, as that will, literally, obliterate everything else. 

Yeah, but for the longest time a good 4K monitor at 32 inches would cost something like $700, (while a good 4K TV at 55 inches could be had for $300) it was only recently that a good 4K 32 inch monitor was priced at $300 to $400. So I imagine those 32 inch OLED monitors with good response time, and hertz will take forever to come down in price. 

But yeah, those will blow everything away. They'll make 1080p look like 480 or less. 

A 4k TV that costs $400 will look like dogshit compared to one that costs $1300-2000+.