Quantcast
NPD January: X360 #1 270k, 49% share, PS3 > Wii = 281k Combined

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD January: X360 #1 270k, 49% share, PS3 > Wii = 281k Combined

Seece said:
Still, the January results are so poor that their validity should be questioned, says Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter. From 2004 to 2011, January software sales have averaged $518 million, making this month's $355.9 million figure "just hard to digest," he says. "It also makes no sense that sales are below the level from 2004, when games were cheaper and the installed base of consoles was much lower. ... I don't know if the NPD is getting faulty data, but these numbers make no sense."


Did they leave out Walmart or something?  I mean... it is a ridiculous dip.  But then again... the real unemployment in this country and the lower wages and underemployed people are FAR higher than EVER.  So that may be really taking a hit on things.  I mean, Black Friday was the one big day and then... bubkis after that.  December was down, Jan is down... Maybe BF really was that one big day.



BOOM!  FACE KICK!

Seece said:
Still, the January results are so poor that their validity should be questioned, says Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter. From 2004 to 2011, January software sales have averaged $518 million, making this month's $355.9 million figure "just hard to digest," he says. "It also makes no sense that sales are below the level from 2004, when games were cheaper and the installed base of consoles was much lower. ... I don't know if the NPD is getting faulty data, but these numbers make no sense."

Well I thought the same about last December....

Now it's the second time in a row where Wedbush, EEDAR (I guess) and VGC show much different (higher) data than NPD.



pezus said:
Seece said:
Still, the January results are so poor that their validity should be questioned, says Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter. From 2004 to 2011, January software sales have averaged $518 million, making this month's $355.9 million figure "just hard to digest," he says. "It also makes no sense that sales are below the level from 2004, when games were cheaper and the installed base of consoles was much lower. ... I don't know if the NPD is getting faulty data, but these numbers make no sense."

Maybe adjustments?

Either that or it becomes apparent that Nintendo platforms were mostly responsible for good overall industry results in the seventh generation. But now that Nintendo has self-destructed, a lot of revenue is simply disappearing, because these gamers aren't interested in Sony and Microsoft systems.

NPD has messed up like this before though, so I would rather go with that explanation.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Seece said:
pezus said:
Seece said:
Still, the January results are so poor that their validity should be questioned, says Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter. From 2004 to 2011, January software sales have averaged $518 million, making this month's $355.9 million figure "just hard to digest," he says. "It also makes no sense that sales are below the level from 2004, when games were cheaper and the installed base of consoles was much lower. ... I don't know if the NPD is getting faulty data, but these numbers make no sense."


Maybe adjustments?

Hmm, perhaps NPD overestimated November and previous months? THat or the industry really is this down.

I keep looking back at december and all the electronic retailers here in the US that warned on sales and earnings and thats the only thing i can think of, November was a absolute top for videogames sales (maybe for a long while) and people are just tapped out.  But if there was discrepancy, i dont see why any of the console makers or publishers are saying anything opposite, they carter they monthly statements to what NPD says.



Seece said:
pezus said:
Seece said:
Still, the January results are so poor that their validity should be questioned, says Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter. From 2004 to 2011, January software sales have averaged $518 million, making this month's $355.9 million figure "just hard to digest," he says. "It also makes no sense that sales are below the level from 2004, when games were cheaper and the installed base of consoles was much lower. ... I don't know if the NPD is getting faulty data, but these numbers make no sense."


Maybe adjustments?

Hmm, perhaps NPD overestimated November and previous months? THat or the industry really is this down.

Microsoft should really do a price cut.  They'd still make a good profit, and since Sony can't really afford to do one right now and make a profit, they could get a real stranglehold on the market by doing so.  That 49% market share could rise to 60% with a price cut and the Wii dying.



BOOM!  FACE KICK!

Train wreck said:

I keep looking back at december and all the electronic retailers here in the US that warned on sales and earnings and thats the only thing i can think of, November was a absolute top for videogames sales (maybe for a long while) and people are just tapped out.  But if there was discrepancy, i dont see why any of the console makers or publishers are saying anything opposite, they carter they monthly statements to what NPD says.

Yeah, I think Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo would refute those numbers if they were wrong.  But instead they go right along with it.  Odd.



BOOM!  FACE KICK!

Saw this post on Gaf.

Looks like Michael Pachter is questioning the integrity of the NPD data:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-in-january-/1

"I don't know if the NPD is getting faulty data, but these numbers make no sense."



Nsanity said:

Saw this post on Gaf.

Looks like Michael Pachter is questioning the integrity of the NPD data:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-in-january-/1

"I don't know if the NPD is getting faulty data, but these numbers make no sense."

your about a page late



No Nintendo data ....



 

Seece said:
No Nintendo data ....


I just want 3DS data, out of curiousity.  Wii, Ps3, DS, and PSP data is going to be bad either way.